Identification of some different items

Guion Leach

I am new still and the information on how to post pictures is almost like Greek to me, but I will attempt it soon. I apologize I do not understand about the pictures yet. Also I find if pictures have jpg in the description, I can not enlarge pictures other members have posted. A really good description is the best I can do for right now.

In the meantime maybe someone can help me identify some pieces I have spotted and do not know if they are worth getting.
1) On pg 97 and on pg. 244 of the Blue book, it is as close as I can come to one item I saw. It is called a French waffle pan. Only this one has no name or markings. The cooking base topside is plain with no separations, but the 4 flip" parts are individually hinged. I do not remember if there is a tab coming out past the edge of the bottom part or not, probably for ease in flipping. What would you use this for, as since the bottom is continuous, it seems batter would just fill the whole thing, so why the flip "tops?" Any information? Is it worth getting? Can't find anything like it on ebay to compare it to.

2) I saw a cast iron bundt cake pan. No name or markings. Very thick walled and heavy. Do not remember if it had any kind of side handle for picking it up. Only saw 2 others on ebay, Wagner and Griswald. Are these somewhat rare?

3) I bought for $3.00 a round pot which I have finally identified as a Scotch bowl. It has a gate mark and a round circular rim on the bottom. It also has like a raised 8 or perhaps ampersand type marking there. The place where the bail attached is raised vertically, parallel from the sides of the pot and the metal where the hole is rather thin compared to the thickness of the pot. The bail wires just go through the hole and bend back like a C. There is not crook in the middle, just a smooth curve from one side to the other. It has two very small pegs. I suppose to keep the bail handle from going past the top edge of the pot and getting heated again the pot if it were to go below the top edge of the pot. It is 9 1/2" across and 3 3/4 " deep. It has no pour spouts, helping edges and no ring like I have seen on most of the pictures in the Blue Book.
Anyone know what this is, about how old, what is what (or could be) used for and approximate value. Fairly smooth on outside and inside, some rusting in the bottom but I haven't tried to do anything with it yet.

4) in the same deal, I got another pot with it. Looks very much like a Lodge pot I have. The handles for the bail each have two rather D shaped holes and the helping lip has two finger forms underneath. The place where the handles fit on have a definite raised reinforcement line on each side coming out from the pot. The bail appears closed on one side and more open on the other no crook in the middle. The bottom only marks are an almost Italic like 5 QT and an F below that be about 2 inches. It is smooth bottomed, and has circular finishing marks on the inside like a marked Griswold skillet I have. Any help here? Maker? Value? Name of the pot?

Which leads me back to what is the difference among a patty bowl, Scotch bowl and a Yankee bowl and a bean pot?

1. The item on BB pg. 244 is more typically called a flop griddle. Batter is poured into each of the circular impressions as shown in the top photo, and then the handle is used to flip them over onto the oblong impression on the other side to finish.

2. Wagner and Griswold made Bundt pans, along with those of other makers who can be identified, as well as others with fine castings and interesting patterns, are considered collectibles. You don't see as many of them as other types of cast iron cookware.

3. Scotch and Yankee bowls were produced up through the early 20th century. They were made for cooking things that required constant stirring. Many foundries made them, so IDing pieces without a name is difficult if not impossible.

4. Probably going to need a photo on this one.

Yankee and Scotch bowls for things like porridge, bean pots for long simmering, small patty bowls for heating frying oil in which to dip batter-coated patty mould/irons to create pastry shells.

Thanks, Doug. The bundt pan and the flop pan are selling by different vendors for $95.00 each. They have gone unnoticed at an antique store filled with dealers stuff and unless you are really looking for CI, one would not notice them. Does that sound somewhere around reasonable given they are slightly usual pieces, but also that neither of them has a name? I really will try to get the picture thing figured out, but even my son calls me the technological dinosaur.

Thank you both for replying to my identification issue. I have finally with my ancient flip phone made decent pictures of my items that I am trying to either identify and or value.

I do not understand your directions as to how to upload, so am trying to find out about how to get on the cloud for free and learn those skills. Do you recommend some site as being easier to understand with directions and that will instruct me on how to resize, get on the cloud and then resend to CIC?

The first step will be to get the photos from your phone onto your computer. That may be as simple as attaching your phone via a USB cable to your computer and accessing it as an attached storage device, or it may require you to install and use a "phone tools" program provided by the phone's manufacturer in order to copy image files to your PC. Then search the forum for the term "mycastironphoto" and review the sticky topic for a method whereby you can simply email the photos for addition to the website's Picasa account.

Thank you. I have learned how to send pics from my phone to my computer and have even organized the pics into folders by CI item. I did go to Google+ and somehow by just hitting buttons, got one folder on there. But do not know what to do from there.

From your response, it may be that there is an email address for CI forum that I could just send an email and send my picture folder as an attachment? Or would I have to attach each picture individually? I do not know what the Picassa email is or how to attach to it. I am just totally frustrated.

I would like to get at least one set of pictures to you while I figure out the rest I need to know about Google + and how to work with it, size pics, do slideshows, etc. But right now I would be just THRILLED to find I was able to send a picture to CI forum!

Would you please send me the email address to send an email to CI forum? So I could just try sending an email from my computer with the attachment from my computer?

I do NOT understand the directions in the sticky on the general forum on how to send pics. It is way over my knowledge base of computer skills...at least at the moment.

The method I referenced above involves sending the photos to a special email address from which they will be forwarded to the website's Google Picasa photo hosting account. You would then be able to just link to them there in your posts instead of attaching/uploading them or having to use another photo hosting service account. For this you will need to refer to the sticky topic you will find when you search the forum for "mycastironphoto". The link is not publicly accessible.

I am almost in tears and ready to give up. I went to the CastIronForum webpage circle and found the sticky with 3 examples(?). I clicked on them. I still do not see WHAT address you are talking about to send these to, "without having to upload/attach" for it to go into "Picasso" to be sent on to you. I have looked up Picasso and tried to join it, but I still do not know how to do this.

You said the email address is not public. Then how do people use it? I know you can not teach me what I do not know, that is not your purpose. But can you direct me to ANYWHERE where so I can learn to get pictures to you. I just do not see anything in those 3 examples to show me where or what to type in any kind of address to get them to someone else to send them on to you. I have been at this for days, maybe I should just quit.

Could you tell me what I am supposed to look at on those 3 addresses? When I clicked on them I got excerpts from the forum. What I need is HOW TO SEND TO THE FORUM. Please forgive my exasperation. It is not your fault I am such a technological dinosaur.

You are referring to the photo posting sticky topics posted at the top of most of the forums. Those are not the one I am referring to. Again, you must search the forum for the term "mycastironphoto" in order to find the particular sticky topic I am talking about.

The forum search is available in the navigation bar above or via this link: http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/search.php

Oh, Doug, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I understood most of that and found the mycastironphoto sticky you must have meant. NEW HOPE! I have to go to work now, but will mess around with this tomorrow. Thank you so much for your patience and caring. You are a great guy and I see why you have a loyal following...me included!

Image Image

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Hi, Doug, Computer got a virus and had to take care of that, At Geek Squad right now trying to get help on this first attempt. This item I just wondered if it is a Griswold. Does not say Made in USA. No lid. Would like an idea of value. Also if I did this right and what I need to do differently to send photos. Thanks, hope it goes well.

Unmarked Wagner, pre-1960s. Might have been sold with a glass cover. As-is, no lid, and if no cracks/warp/pitting, $15-20.

Thanks so much, Doug. Well at least I got it posted, hope I can do some on my own now. I was hoping it was a Gris, as there is/was one just like it on ebay, but had Made in USA on it. Mine also has the circular milling in the bottom of the bowl like I find in Gris skillets. Not a big loss and a good "test" item for posting for CI Forum help. I have scoured ebay and CI forum info and identified most of the items I have. Just will need some advice on value and if I should clean them, possibly best way given the ages, or just leave them. I'll be posting after I get it more clearly in my head how to do this. Thanks again for all your patience and help.

During the period after which "Made In USA" was added to this unmarked pan, it may have been also sold as a Wagner or Griswold using an adhesive paper label or marked carton.

Thanks, I did not know that! That is why CI forum and your advice and info is so important and needed by the rest of us. We will NEVER know all that you guys have learned throughout your years of experience. Thanks for being so willing to share your expertise!

I plan to clean it up and possibly keep it for when I want to deep fry. But if it cleans up really nicely, might put it on ebay just to learn how to function on ebay before I put on there the items I really do plan to restore and resell. Thanks again, and blessing to you!

Back