Ratio of Lye to vinegar for neutrilizing

Serge_G

Now that I know a lye solution is necessary for sanitize my latest acquisition , I want to make sure that I know how to dispose of the lye solution once I'm done. :confused:
I know I need to use 1 lbs. of crystal for 4 gallons of water for the solution but I could not find on the web how many gallons of vinegar will be needed to neutralize the same amount of solution. I want to be on the safe side, that way I can start stockpiling the vinegar.

Last edited:
How about using commercial muriatic acid?
Sounds like fire and gasoline to me. Hydrochloric (aka muriatic) acid is some powerful stuff! Mixed with lye, you would have one helluva reaction. Ever mix simple baking soda with vinegar when you were a kid? I may be wrong, but I'd expect something similar but much stronger, along with a lot of heat.

I guess the guy in the lab at work has no idea then. Tell me then if it make sense. This is what he came up with his calculations based on 1 lb. lye for 4 gallons of water, that he give on a piece of paper

1- Muriatic acid is 10 mol/liter.

2- 1 lb. of lye is 11.35 mol of NaOH

3 - 11.35 mol of NaOH/10 mol/liter

= 1.135 liter Muriatic acid

I have no idea, what this all means, I'm just trying to be good to the environment without having to buy 15 quarts of vinegar to dilute 4 gallons of solution.
Can you esplane please !

Oh, I have no doubt that it will work. An acid will neutralize a base. No problem there. I'm just concerned about the reaction.

I can clean any cast iron piece that I can find, using ONLY food grade products.

Muriatic acid is not food grade.

You do not need vinegar to neutralize Lye. GOOD old Water, H20

Just what are you trying to do?

I can clean any cast iron piece that I can find, using ONLY food grade products.

Muriatic acid is not food grade.

You do not need vinegar to neutralize Lye. GOOD old Water, H20

Just what are you trying to do?

Water will dilute lye. It won't neutralize it. I suspect that he is trying to dispose of it. Dilution is one way, probably safe with public sewer systems. Not so much for septic tanks, from what I hear.

Diluting is safer if you are not well versed with lab techniques (i.e. add HCL VERY slowly and use appropriate protections), but neutralizing NaOH with HCL gives you salt water.

Diluting it with water would be best thing.

Keep the lye out of private septic tanks / systems

Safer with public sewer systems, by adding water and lots of it.

Protection gear I have, goggles, hardhat with face shield, heavy rubber gloves, no apron (got a Tyvek suit) but I could come up with something or even buy something. When I went to school way back when you had to have good math grades to take part of the chemistry classes...guess what no chem labs for me. On the other hand I like to be on the cautious side and not kill what's left of our environment. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fern freak or tree hunger, I work in the wood processing business, and DEQ is always watching.

That's why I ask questions on how to dispose of something properly. With the help of all the individuals that "chimed in" I really do appreciate your advice and your expertise.

Protection gear I have, goggles, hardhat with face shield, heavy rubber gloves, no apron (got a Tyvek suit) but I could come up with something or even buy something. When I went to school way back when you had to have good math grades to take part of the chemistry classes...guess what no chem labs for me. On the other hand I like to be on the cautious side and not kill what's left of our environment. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fern freak or tree hunger, I work in the wood processing business, and DEQ is always watching.

That's why I ask questions on how to dispose of something properly. With the help of all the individuals that "chimed in" I really do appreciate your advice and your expertise.

Lye will not eat your clothes, but will eat at your skin and eyes.
Apron and Tyvek suit, might be a bit much, unless you plan on splashing it around.

Rubber gloves, face shield, or goggles will be fine. If you get it on your Sunday best, just wash it off.

Hardhat, only if you plan on splashing it around and should fall.

Accidents can be prevented. Think first, act second.

Have plenty of water around.

Nothing wrong with being tree hunger. I hug my trees when I take one down. I have to see how big it is.:icon_rofl:

Serge,

Don't over think it. If you're on city sewer, pour about 1/2 gallon down your drains, and let stand for 1/2 hr. or so, then run a couple of gallons of water after it. It will keep your drains nice and clean. Lye is, after all, sold as a drain cleaner. If on septic, I wouldn't send too much to the tank as it can screw with the bacteria. It also works a treat as a weed killer.

The face shield is attached to the hard hat. Just pointing the safety gear I have, thanks.
I like measurements like 1/2 gl. for 2 gl. water down the drain, I like that a lot. You people as a whole have made this simpler for disposal.
thanks again to everyone.
Now, anybody have a link to easy disposal of electrolysis solution when I'm done? My Ultimate Turkey Roaster (UTR) has no rust, but I got a couple skillets that has a lot.

The face shield is attached to the hard hat. Just pointing the safety gear I have, thanks.
I like measurements like 1/2 gl. for 2 gl. water down the drain, I like that a lot. You people as a whole have made this simpler for disposal.
thanks again to everyone.
Now, anybody have a link to easy disposal of electrolysis solution when I'm done? My Ultimate Turkey Roaster (UTR) has no rust, but I got a couple skillets that has a lot.

I have a full face shield, no hard hat attached. Just sayin.

What is in your E-tank, Washing soda and water?

Yes the Arm and hammer washing soda with some rebar attached to the side

Not sure how large yours is, but this is what I will do when it is time. Let it settle and pour off as much as you can into your driveway without pouring all the rust and old crud sitting at the bottom. Wash down your driveway just like washing your auto, dump the crud into the trash. A word to the wise, less eyes the less questions. It is just soap.

Not sure how large yours is, but this is what I will do when it is time. Let it settle and pour off as much as you can into your driveway without pouring all the rust and old crud sitting at the bottom. Wash down your driveway just like washing your auto, dump the crud into the trash. A word to the wise, less eyes the less questions. It is just soap.

... and into the storm drains and out to the lakes and rivers.

Nope... if you can pour lye down the drain, you can surely pour washing soda down the drain. Let the sewage treatment plant take care of it, not the fish.

I am ignorant on the chemical details but it does not strike me that anything in either tank would be harmful or unnatural for the environment. A quart of lye drain cleaner once in a while has no noticeable effect on my 1,000 gallon septic tank. Nor does a tub of washing soda or Tide hurt the lawn or the tank. The grass and the dirt seem to appreciate rust, carbon and lime. Our used vegetable oil goes to the dump, but I’m not sure why. Not good for the septic tank but might be OK on dirt in the woods.

Is there anything specific in either tank that is bad for the environment when diluted with water?

Hilditch

Back