My first ebay buy

I see what you're talking about. Hopefully, it's not warped or cracked or pitted under the paint. I'm also trying to figure out why the heat ring isn't more apparent. I can see the pattern number, which is where sulfur pitting would be most likely, so that's a good thing.

I thought the same thing about the heat ring. I think it's just an illusion from the paint.

Hopefully it's in good shape. For the price, I'm willing to take a chance on it. Pretty much no matter what, from the pictures, it'll still cook. Plus I have been having horrible luck with the local hunting lately, so I need a new project :)

It's p/n 711, a #9 from the period when each pattern had a different number. Also looks like a maker's mark "B".

It has arrived!

ImageImageImageImage

The good news is that there's no warp, cracks, rust, or pitting. It seems to be in extremely good condition under years of absolutely gorgeous seasoning. If it wasn't for the paint, I probably would adopt Steve's method of just scrubbing with steel wool and solid Crisco to preserve the seasoning.

The bad news is that the heat ring is really not there. I don't see any sign that it was intentionally ground off, and I don't think I'm the first person ever to find an Erie skillet manufactured without a heat ring. So I'm thinking it is probably worn completely off from years of use.

For the price, I will not complain one bit :)

It's in the lye, I'll update once the paint all comes off and I can get a better view of the bare iron on the bottom.

I can see today where the heat ring was definitely ground off. Such a shame, because it seems to be almost perfect otherwise.

Out of the lye. Just gave it a brief scrubbing and a protective coat of crisco before it goes into the electro when I get the time for it.

ImageImage

No shame, use it to fry sausage and eggs, or a vegetable stir fry. Someone did not see the worth that we see in an Erie skillet. I have a #14 Martin Stove and Range with a crack to the left side of the handle. I bought it twenty years ago for $5 , cleaned it and the wife can make a deep dish Chicago pizza that kicks a$$. I expected the crack to expand with use, over the past years of use the crack has remained the same.

Oh don't get me wrong, I will be giving this a loving home. I can tell it will be a fantastic user, the cooking surface is in great shape. Of course I would have preferred it to be in better collectible shape, but I knew going in that it was a gamble and am perfectly happy for it to be user-only.

Back