Best CI Wipes (what do you use) ??

Nick_N

I was reading in another thread, that paper towels might not be the best choice for wiping out CI, especially when seasoning. So, I am just curious as to what others might be using. I have seasoned several pieces, and unknowingly, I did use paper towels to wipe them out, between and during seasonings. So far, I haven't had too much of a problem, although I do change the towels frequently. Currently, however, I am working on a little Wagner skillet, which is really becoming a pain. Every time I do any wiping on the inside, no matter what I use (paper towel, napkin, dish rag or towel), I am getting a lot of residue (bits & pieces) from the wipe. I just can't seem to get it to wipe out clean and slick, like my other CI :confused::confused:

Nick- I may not be the best one to respond to this but i have experienced what your talking about so i will chime in with what ive found. I dont have much problem with old really smooth pans, however newer stuff with the textured non polished surface tears up a paper towel fast. I apply crisco with folded paper towel as the heat is drawing the crisco to the pan i dont have to wipe really hard so the paper towel stays intact. when it comes to wiping it off, i use the heavier roll of blue shop towels, thicker and more absorbant than paper towel so they absorb oil instead of spreading it around and they dont shred as fast. On smooth pans thats it, on rough ones that might shred the blue towels a little, i finish up with a light wipe kinda like dusting a shelf with an OLD kitchen towel (so the wife doesnt kill me) and it seems to basically dust off the little fiber pieces. hope this helps.

I use the blue shop towels like JefferyL. I've never tried to season any of the newer rough textured CI because I don't have any, but even on older ground finishes regular paper towels don't hold up well at all.

I cut up old woven style dish cloths & towels (not the terry cloth style). I toss them in either the trash or the washer depending on how they look after use. Sometimes I just fold it up and put into the lard can.

I spread the oil on with a blue shop towel and wipe it off with a dishtowel. Works just fine.

After cleaning a skillet i'll wipe some oil on with a white paper towel however only after cleaning, i don't use white paper towels for seasoning for the same reasons others have stated.

Thanks folks......

Okay, the rags and towels that I have used, were the terry type, and certainly not lint free. Maybe I'll try one that is tightly woven, or get some of those blue shop towels that everybody talks about. I suppose they might be available at Lowes or Home Depot ? Is there a special brand that I should look for ?

Lint isn't really the problem. It's that paper towel both shreds on as-cast surfaces and does not effectively wipe off as much excess oil as needed before baking on a round of manual seasoning. Any other material which possesses those same deficiencies should also be avoided.

Will surely try that. May be a better idea, than sneaking one of my wife's dish towels :shootself:

Yeah, I already got caught doing that. Luckily she set aside some old ratty dish cloths I can use specifically for post cooking clean-up. I'd use them for seasoning too but the old t-shirts do way better.

Dang, the skillet looks better already, after just wiping it out with an old tee shirt. Now for another round of seasoning. Will probably do that this evening, while we cook dinner. No need to let a good oven cooking go to waste. I try to let something ride along, every time we crank it up - two birds and one stone, or whatever !
:icon_thumbsup:​

Thanks folks......

Okay, the rags and towels that I have used, were the terry type, and certainly not lint free. Maybe I'll try one that is tightly woven, or get some of those blue shop towels that everybody talks about. I suppose they might be available at Lowes or Home Depot ? Is there a special brand that I should look for ?

Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, just about anywhere, look in automotive section usually, i dont think brand matters.

I put a roll downstairs by my e-tank and a roll in the kitchen cupboard for post cooking cleanup, they work great.

I am going to try the old t-shirt method though, cheaper and I have a ton of them laying around after losing 126 lbs!

Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, just about anywhere, look in automotive section usually, i dont think brand matters.

I put a roll downstairs by my e-tank and a roll in the kitchen cupboard for post cooking cleanup, they work great.

I am going to try the old t-shirt method though, cheaper and I have a ton of them laying around after losing 126 lbs!

Thankyou Jeffrey - I'll pick up a roll, just to have handy, but so far, I'm thinking the tee shirt is going to do the trick :icon_thumbsup:

I use cotton handkerchiefs... Buy a dozen or 1/2 dozen, they are cheap.

I fold one to pocket size - in half, then in quarters - about 4"x4", use it for seasoning and for 'oiling' after use, and store it in a Ziplock sandwich bag.

I turn it and refold it occasionally, and after a while it gets pretty saturated with Crisco.

By that time, after washing out a skillet or DO, I set it on the gas burner to evaporate all the water, and then, often just use the Crisco handkerchief by itself, without adding anymore Crisco.

No lint, no mess... and after a while, when one gets too dirty or begins to shred from the as-cast pans, I pitch it and begin with a new one.

Whatever works, I say, and this works for me...

dh

No lint, no mess... and after a while, when one gets too dirty or begins to shred from the as-cast pans, I pitch it and begin with a new one.

Thanks for another great suggestion. Handkerchiefs sound like another really great solution. Now I got to ask (as I am new to this CI terminology) - what is "as-cast" ? Doug used that term earlier, and stupid me, thought it was a typo? I guess not :shootself:

Thanks for another great suggestion. Handkerchiefs sound like another really great solution. Now I got to ask (as I am new to this CI terminology) - what is "as-cast" ? Doug used that term earlier, and stupid me, thought it was a typo? I guess not :shootself:

Skillets, DOs, etc. that have had no finish grinding---like the rough textured stuff Lodge sells today.

Back