Putting CI in Temp Storage

JenniferM

I need to put some of my CI in temp storage for an upcoming move. I don't want to unpack a mess of rusty pans should any humidity sneak in the unit. Any tips or concerns for packing them up for storage for about two months? Thank you!

Jennifer, your best bet would be to ship them to Georgia. Nice and dry down here... :chuckle:

Seriously, maybe just spray them with a good coating of Pam and wrap individually in newspaper.

If they are properly seasoned, the worst that should happen is they get sticky. While long term storage ideally should be in as dry an environment as possible, you probably won't have a problem in that amount of time.

If mine, I would lightly coat with canola the parts that might get some rust, like the bottom, and leave any seasoned pieces uncoated. Then wrap each in butcher's paper to help keep any humidity out.

Down here in Georgia I'd then pack them all in a large YETI cooler if I could afford one. Might even throw in a few packs of silica gel.

My CI stored in my camper for 6 months, without any protection, grew a light coating of white fuzz which disappeared as soon as it was preheated. No rust issues and the seasoning was fine.

JB - you're funny ... "Dry" in Georgia? LOL nice try though.

Thank you all for the suggestions? They are all seasoned pieces. I was wavering between whether it made sense to wrap them in a dry paper (like butchers or packing paper) or plastic bags to be able to sort of tie them off. Maybe both?

It's not going to be a huge deal if they get a little rust; it's not like I won't be able to easily remedy that, thanks to you all & the information available here. :)

Back