Griswold Camp Oven Question

RCorbett

Hello everybody,
Although I've been collecting and using vintage cast iron cookware for years I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
I'm researching Griswold camp ovens (not dutch ovens) and I would like to know what the pattern/mold numbers are for these pieces. From my research it seems like Griswold made them in #8, #9, and #10 sizes. I have a photo of a #10 block logo camp oven that shows a 310 pattern/mold number, but that is as far as I've got, nothing on the #8 or #9. I'm particularly interested in slant logo pieces, but I appreciate any information I can get.
Thanks,

It appears that 8-11 were offered in the early 1910s both with and without a bail handle. Later, in the 1920s, the non-bail handled option was dropped, and the range expanded to 8-13, cover optional. The pattern number sequences for Griswold "Dutch Oven with Legs" (later the "Chuck Wagon Dutch Oven") were a bit scattershot. When Griswold updated patterns with new markings, pattern numbers were rarely changed. Material changes in physical properties of a piece may have prompted the creation of a different p/n, though. The BB and RB appear incomplete in their listing of the p/ns, and catalogs don't list them. You may be able to piece together a list from eBay listings.

Thank you for that information Doug. My information regarding the sizes came from Catalog #45. Coincidently, I received a copy of the reprinted Catalog #47 yesterday and learned that they expanded the sizes up to #13.
As you say, the catalogs don't include p/ns. As of yet I don't have the BB or RB, but can you tell me if either of these include any p/ns for any of the camp ovens?
Thanks,

If the books show a photo of a piece, the caption will include its p/n. If additional sizes are listed in the caption, values are given, but not p/ns. Both books have appendices of pattern numbers (and Wagner catalog numbers), but it doesn't look like all the CO p/ns are included. Information in them was compiled more often from empirical observation (and sometimes speculation) than hard documentation.

Thanks again Doug. Between the two, does the BB or RB include more Griswold p/ns, or do I need to get both?

They appear to be the same in both books. One even has the listings twice for some unknown reason. If only purchasing one book at a time, the BB is recommended to get first.

Back