Your top 4 "users"

Kevin Meares

I was enjoying the ads in the archive section and saw one for Griswold that said a "well equipped" kitchen should have at least 3-4 pieces of CI. Not a tough sell for this group, but what if you were limited to four "users"? Which ones would you use, and why?

I'm new to CI and thought this might be a fun way to learn about how you cook with CI in the kitchen and what I might look for to round out my collection. Doesn't have to be Griswold!

I use my #9 Griswold pretty regularly, my #10 Lodge for searing steaks, my Dutch oven and my Erie round griddle. Those are the four I couldn't do without.

All Canadian for me, Smart and GSW skillets, Findlay dutch oven, McClary griddle.

Tho I will pull out the Griswold for waffles.

#8 LBL Griswold skillet
#8 Wagner 1088 chicken fryer
Unmarked Wagner 5 Qt DO with a Lodge lid
Long griddle if I had one

Nothing I own cooks eggs better than my Griswold. I've cooked rice, potatoes, soup, bacon, and all sorts of oddball things in the chicken fryer so that's proven it's usefulness. Roasts, jambalaya, and casseroles all come out fantastic in the DO, whose lid fits the Griswold like a glove. Until I find a long griddle I'm stuck ganging my two round griddles up with a couple of skillets whenever I make pancakes or pizza.

Thirty-three yo Lodge 10 SK, BSR Red Mountain #7, Lodge 5 qt. DO and a 7” Descoware combo lid egg skillet. Not that the next two dozen pieces aren’t useful.

Americans rich and spoiled? Nah. Why just 200 years ago most families felt fortunate to have one piece and could cook anything.

Hilditch

In order of most use, I would say:

Gris #10 LBL Skillet
Gris #8 LBL Skillet
Wag double burner griddle for pancakes
Gris #9 LBL round griddle for tortillas

My WI & DO follow closely, but those are my top 4

Most used in my kitchen in order of frequency:

No.8 Lodge arc logo skillet
No.7 Griswold large block skillet
No.10 Wagner unmarked skillet
No.9 Griswold low base Waffle Iron

13 inch round griddle and the Lodge No.5 are runners up.

I'm a new CI user / collector but I've grown very fond of the following pieces as users:

1. Wagner Sidney O No. 10
2. Griswold LBL No. 8
3. BSR Red Mountain No. 5
4. Lodge Enamel Dutch Oven 7.8 Qt.

Break: Benjamin, I sure do hope you try the Grandma's Waffles recipe below. Hopefully it will be hard to go back.

Hilditch

#10 modern lodge (Ive dedicated my life to getting an amazing seasoning on this)
#8 sbl
#6 lbl
#8 Lodge unmarked DO

1) #10 Wagner skillet
2) #10 Wagner Ware griddle
3) #5 Slant Griswold skillet
4) #9 Wagner (I think-very pitted on bottom) shallow skillet

1) #10 Wapak
2) #8 Griswold LSL
3) Smaller Asian DO (soon to be replaced by a Wagner #6 that's in my to be cleaned pile)
4) #8 Wagner DO

#4 was hard because I use my little #3 skillet fairly often to make s'mores in the oven...but I think I use the DO more.

Break: Benjamin, I sure do hope you try the Grandma's Waffles recipe below. Hopefully it will be hard to go back.

Hilditch

Sorry Hilditch, I'm afraid that either your post is missing something or I just don't understand what you are saying.

I'd love to try another recipe than the one I've been using. I'll have to modify it though since I cannot eat wheat.

Happy waffling!

I'm still new at this as well, and about all I can say is my top four users are the only four I have so far.

I do like OP question, I seen some of you had mentioned the #5 and #6. I'd been on the hunt for a 5 or maybe a 6 for myself. It got me to thinking about starting a thread on those two sizes to see what you all cook in those sizes, I do have a #7 I do like and use for some things. I'll start a thread later in the week and we can keep this on track.

Steve ,

Have been thinking a lot about this; hard decision, but...
2 approximately size 6 enameled skillets (1 Descoware; other unmarked)
Unmarked (Wagner?) DO inherited from my Mother-in-law
No. 9 Erie skillet
There are so many possibilities...:grin:

Wow, just 4, that is a hard one.
Our over all go-to pieces
Crescent Foundry Ozark dutch oven
#9 LBL Griswold
This months flavors
#8 Favorite Piqua Ware shallow skillet
#12 SK 3 Notch Lodge

Back