Ever screw up a recipe?

My first corn roast was a shock. All they had was corn! Roasted in the husk on a BBQ. Peel the husks back for a handle, dip it in a pot of butter, a little salt and pepper and that smoked flavor was wonderful. A few beers and a few ears made for a whole lot of happy people.

I can’t think of a veggie that would get hurt by a little smoke.

Hilditch

Ok, need to clarify. I'm in Canada where BBQ is considered grilling over gas. By BBQ, you're talking the real southern BBQ, big ol smoker deal correct?

Smoked veggies? Do tell, never had them.

Cold to med smoke. A lighter smoking wood. Pecan or peach works. Oak is my go to.

Corn bread, good soup,cobbler and a cold beer which has already been mentioned. Cooked and served in the feel good cast iron. I will take a picture this weekend.

Rob, BBQ or any of the dozen ways to spell it is one of the most bastardized words in the world. It is used for most anything. BBQ beans? I don’t think so. In tracing it back, I use it as a noun: a rack with poles or bars suspended over a heat source for the purpose of cooking, smoking or drying food.

A BBQ can have any heat source: gas, charcoal, wood, electric, palm leaves, etc. In the US if you put a lid on it or enclose it most call that a smoker, although a Weber here is called a grill. In Australia a Weber is called a barbie and else ware it is a smoker. In Argentina it is a rack used to cook over wood coals. They about got it right, but it is only 4” tall.

So, in my book BBQ is not a food, not a sauce, not an event, not an adjective and not a verb. About 140 years ago folks had it right. You broiled from the bottom with a broiler pan, you grilled on a griddle and you used a BBQ to cook low and slow. That wasn’t good enough, so now we don’t know what we are doing.

Hilditch

Here is what happens when we don't know what we are talking about. I built this thing about a dozen years ago and didn't even know what I built.

Thanks to history I can now say this is a multi-purpose cooking apparatus. As seen here, it is a broiler. By setting a griddle on the grate it is a grill. By raising the grate 2 or 3 ft. it is a BBQ.

Got that Rob?

Hilditch

Most of what I cook I don't measure and I do petty well. But Most of the time I'll just read the list of ingredients and how it cooked as a starting point.

Now if I cobble something together that just came to mind, once in awhile I'll get a undesired flavor result. And every now and then you'll get one that days later you wished you had wrote it down :)

My problem is baking as most of that requires close measurements and being dyslexic can mess up a recipe either by reading it wrong or rewriting it wrong from other sources. But knowing that keeps me double and triple checking often and for the most part I make fewer mistakes than the novice cook, it just may take me a little longer.

My golden rule when woodworking is measure twice, cut once. It helps if you can make short piece of wood have to fit somewhere else. ( ask me how I know )

Steven, In the last few years I have made the same recipe for Italian bread over 100 times, and I wrote the recipe. There are only 4 ingredients. I am not dyslexic and would not think of doing the next batch without pulling out the recipe and referring to it a few times to check myself.

Yes, about the 50th time I forgot the salt. I still confirm all amounts for each batch every time.

Hilditch

Hilditch,
I know what you mean, some days my brain goes right out of the window and straight to stupid. I'll go as far as going to the grocery Store for just a few things for something I was craving and get all the stuff and forget the main ingredient.

I find myself making a list often now days. And never had to when I was younger. I just hate to admit to my self I'm getting older :(

Back