Estate Sale Finds: Griswold #2 and Crescent Ozark #8 Fryer

Colin Campbell

So I went to a couple of estate sales this morning because I saw some photos with cast iron in them. The first one had 3 skillets and a deep skillet/skillet chicken fryer. Two of the skillets were 3-notch Lodge (pre-Made in USA) and an unmarked Wagner. I left them as I didn't need any more skillets those sizes and the Wagner was warped. I picked up the fryer, though, as I found it last night digging through web research. I picked it up thinking "what the heck, it'll be a nice historical piece." And I like older cast iron. It's in good shape, no rust. The Crescent F'dy Co. is kinda faint, but the Ozark St. Louis, MO. is distinct. Just some unattended baked on gunk. Should clean up nice. $40.

The other piece, I almost didn't go for. Different sale and it was the only CI in the photos. I saw a little number on the handle and assumed it would be a #3 Wagner based on the size. I've got one, but I thought I'd get it to keep it company. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up and it was a Griswold. My first. Size #2. Kinda small, but I needed to break my Griswold drought. Once I get home, I find out this might be kinda rare. It's got a lot of crud on it, but the raw spots under the handle definitely look old. The cooking surface is extremely smooth. From the photos, can anyone confirm it's the real deal? $12.00

https://imgur.com/gallery/YjcUPy5

that #2 is really gunked up... and too small to be of any practical use...I'll come and get it from you and give you another pan that you can actually use to cook in... what a complete waste of $12... (yes, it appears to be a real large block smooth bottom 2... probably worth 300-400.)

that #2 is really gunked up... and too small to be of any practical use...I'll come and get it from you and give you another pan that you can actually use to cook in... what a complete waste of $12...

There's no way I would insult you by trying to pass off a worthless piece of junk in such poor condition . . . . :icon_rofl: I guess the CI gods were looking down on me this morning. I guess I got my diamond in the rough early in my collecting career. Ironic as I almost didn't go to this sale as there was just the one piece in the photo of cookware, and not even prominently displayed. I think I ended up going because I kinda felt sad for it sitting there all alone amongst all the other pots and pans. I just wish there was more info (other than here) on the Crescent foundry and fryer.

Nice find. You won't see me being that lucky. My grandfather used a small Griswold as an ashtray at the kitchen table(LOL)...don't know what ever happened to it.

Back