Marinade

MDFraley

This is the second time in the past few minutes I have tried to post a thread but for some reason it didn't work. So....I was wondering if any of you have a good recipe for a marinade to use on baby back ribs? I was going to try and make some over the weekend and I wanted something other than the store bought marinades. My search didn't turn up anything here in recipes or cooking in cast iron so if you have a good one lay it on me.
Thanks in advance.

I've never used anything but a rub on ribs. My expectation with the relatively thin meat on ribs is that the amount of time and the acidity in a marinade risks denaturing protein which may result in the cooked meat being mushy.

I've never used anything but a rub on ribs. My expectation with the relatively thin meat on ribs is that the amount of time and the acidity in a marinade risks denaturing protein which may result in the cooked meat being mushy.

Thanks Doug....Good point. With that being said I will probably stick with my season all and lemon pepper and cook my normal way.

You could try a mop sauce which you mop the ribs while they cook. Sauce such as bbq sauce goes on last so not to char the meat.

Mop sauce

Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes mixed with cider vinager.

I second no marinade for mild meat that is tender when fully cooked. Unless you like the flavor of the additions better than the flavor of the meat. Too many BBQ restaurants tenderize their pork & you get mush.

A good basic marinade is water, Adolph's tenderizer (papain), sugar and olive oil. Proportions vary depending on most everything (size, type, cut, time, temperature & technique) so start easy. Additional spices according to taste.

Hilditch

+
Just a rub with course ground black pepper and fine ground garlic works fine for me. Never saw a need to get real fancy with more spices. David

Back