Can't remove black res. after electrolysis

ESechrist

I first cleaned a gatemarked frying pan with hd easy off and had rust underneath the buildup. I built an electro tank and it cleaned up good except for th bottom. I don't know if it is pitted from rust on the bottom (which there was none when I first cleaned it), or if it is just rough from the factory. I scrubbed it thoroughly with a nylon brush and dish soap. It got better, but it still continues to produce black residue while scrubbing. The inside and outer sides are clean. It's only on the bottom. Any suggestions? I want to get it dry and season. Thanks

Attachments

• 20160628_182322-800x600.jpg
    20160628_182322-800x600.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 45
There is probably still carbon on the bottom. Lye or e-tanks don't remove solid pure carbon. Steel wool, wire brushes and elbow grease remove carbon. The pits are probably filled with pure carbon. The pits will remain so you might as well leave it as Scott said. It won't hurt anything and they will fill again later.

Hilditch

Thanks for the answers. I scrubbed more and more until it got real light and seasoned. Turned out pretty well. I want to find more old, light, slick ci for cooking to replace lodge illogic. Brand doesn't matter to me, just cooking quality. CI is all we've used for years, but just not the good stuff. If you know of anyone who has a 10" bottom fry pan, I would be interested.

Back