Restoring in process & ID

ESechrist

This is a pan that was my Grandma's & I've about got it ready to season. Using hd easy off for now until I find some good old pieces to replace my wife's newer Lodge stuff. Heavy and rough as a cob inside. I'll probably set up an electrolysis process if I find a good number of pieces. I thought this might be an old lodge, but I read that they usually have the 3 notch heat ring. I have 1 of those now & it's not a bad one, but it's still heavy. I'm not into collecting or selling, just for cooking. It's not that it matters what it is, but how it performs. I would like to know because I want to learn more. Can't find answers to all ? by net search. Thanks

Attachments

• 20160618_101850-600x840.jpg
    20160618_101850-600x840.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160618_101755-600x814.jpg
    20160618_101755-600x814.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 82
This is a pan that was my Grandma's & I've about got it ready to season... I'll probably set up an electrolysis process if I find a good number of pieces... I'm not into collecting or selling, just for cooking. It's not that it matters what it is, but how it performs. I would like to know because I want to learn more. Can't find answers to all ? by net search. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum!

Don't delay on the electrolysis - it is REALLY easy, and combined with lye soaking (and some patience!), will save a ton of elbow grease. Get the equipment at an estate sale, or maybe you already have a battery charger lurking in your garage.

I think that single notch Lodge #6 of your grandmother's is pretty cool. I believe that single notch Lodge and #6s are in demand to collectors; understand that it's a family piece, but it'll be interesting to see what comments it draws. It's a neat skillet, regardless.

Steve

I have the exact same skillet including the "S" molder's mark. It belonged to my mother in law who passed away last year at the age of 92. No idea when or where she got it, but it makes a mean batch of cornbread. I haven't stripped it. I know where the seasoning came from and who put it there.

Back