Greetings from the Twin Cities!

AaronWells

Hello, My name is Aaron and I hail from the greater Twin Cities area in MN. I'm fairly new to the hobby, but have already found and restored a few pieces.

I am mainly interested in finding pieces that need a little elbow grease and restoring them myself. Looking at local Craigslist for leads I realize I am not the only one and others make a living doing this, so there's steep competition to get to the pans.

I only wish to restore pans as a hobby and grow my collection, not looking to make any money or crowd anyone's turf, haha.

Anyone who knows the area and has leads on flea markets and the like, info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Before
qSsbJlw.jpg

After
Nv4m8GJ.jpg

Thank you, Romunda! There are a couple rough spots on the bottom that wouldn't budge with vinegar and a stainless steel chore boy. I chalked it up to permanent surface damage from corrosion. But after having success with steel wool on another pan, I'm considering giving this one another pass.

Thank you, Romunda! There are a couple rough spots on the bottom that wouldn't budge with vinegar and a stainless steel chore boy. I chalked it up to permanent surface damage from corrosion. But after having success with steel wool on another pan, I'm considering giving this one another pass.

Welcome Aaron....Good restoration. Actually, if you have read some of the threads in our seasoning section you will sometimes find that those dark spots won't budge and in a lot of cases several rounds of seasoning will tend to blend those in and they will become a natural part of the surface.

Excellent restoration. The before pictures make the pan look beyond cleaning, but you did it! Always nice to know someone else is out there rescuing fine old pieces of CI. Thanks for sharing--it is an inspiration.:)

Thanks Sharon! It was actually a lot easier than I was expecting. The lye did all the work! :mrgreen:

And thanks for the tip, MD. I won't waste my time on it then!

Hi, Aaron,

I'm from your neck of the woods (east Metro). Not very active here anymore but I do check in occasionally, and saw your post.

We have a number of good flea markets around in the summertime. Check into the one in Medina and the one in Annandale. Also out at the State Fairgrounds on October 1 (the flea market portion is outdoors and that is where you are most likely to find CI at reasonable prices)

Dan, you are my hero. Thank you! And the links are much appreciated. I just moved up here from Iowa last summer and I'm still getting to know the area.

Back