• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Skillet Blackberry Cobbler

SteveT

Skillet Blackberry Cobbler
from Patricia Adolph's Facebook page

Don't make this in anything but a big black skillet~it won't turn out the same!

1 box of 2 refrigerated pie crusts (I prefer Pillsbury)
2 (14-16 oz) bags frozen blackberries [thawed]
1 stick butter, melted
1⅓ cups sugar (for berries)
½ cup flour
¾ cup sugar (for crust)
½ stick butter, cut into small cubes
½ cup water

1.Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Unroll one pie crust and place in bottom and up sides of 12 " cast iron skillet.
3.Pierce bottom and sides of crust with a fork.
4.Bake 7 minutes; remove from oven.
5.Increase oven temp to 400 degrees.
6.In a large bowl, mix melted butter, 1⅓ cups sugar, and flour.
7.Put berries in bowl with butter/sugar/flour mixture; toss until berries are covered and mixture is crumbly.
8.Gently pour berries into skillet; sprinkle water over berries.
9.Unroll second pie crust over top of berries, sealing at the edges of the skillet.
10.Scatter the small pieces of butter on top of the crust.
11.Sprinkle ¾ cups sugar on top of crust.
12.Cut tiny slits in top of pie crust.
13.Bake approximately 45 minutes or until bubbly at edges and beginning to brown on top.
14.(I highly recommend a pie shield to keep edges of crust from burning.)

☆ Thank you all for passing my things around and sharing ☆

I made my own crust, (channelling Colonel Kurtz...) "the HORROR of using Pilsbury" :wink: Also made a few additions (Chambord and cinammon) to the recipe, while cutting the sugar nearly in 1/2. Here's the view immediately after closing the oven. I'll post about the outcome.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCF4135.jpg
    DSCF4135.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 39
Looking good and looking forward to seeing it out of the oven.

Last fall I made a peach cobbler but wasn't overly excited about the topping. But Recently on the local morning news they made one that looked good enough that I went to their website to get the recipe. I haven't made it yet so I can't really say anything about how it taste.

Steve,

Here are a couple pics of the "after." Great recipe, with the changes mentioned above! I ended up pulling it out of the oven about 38 minutes; the extra few minutes likely would have darkened the crust a bit. One lesson learned - be careful to ENSURE the bottom crust layer goes all the way up the skillet sides. That sugary berry juice may be a pain to remove from the skillet.

Also, I melted some butter and smeared it around the bottom and lower half of the skillet sides, to prevent the crust from sticking. Think that was a good call. I sorta like the "extra" crust lumps in the filling, but eliminating the flour & butter, and just pouring the sugar around would be a good way to save a few calories.

The mess kit isn't normal around my house - I was clowning some friends with it, but the pic with it shows the filling pretty well.

Pics:

Attachments

• DSCF4138JPG[1].jpg
    DSCF4138JPG[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4140JPG[1].jpg
    DSCF4140JPG[1].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF4141JPG[1].jpg
    DSCF4141JPG[1].jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 51
That come out great, and you inspired me not to be lazy today. I've had some apples here I planned for a pie and thinking now how good that will taste later tonight. I think I'll get on that Here soon.

Thanks Steve, I'm going to try this recipe too, but with Mulberries, of which the fruit tree deity has made lots this year. I think the sugar requirements for Mulberries would be close to this recipe, but thanks to your heads up, I'll add sweetener with restraint. Can you really get a 9 inch pie crust to stretch into a 12 inch skillet? Guess I'll find out. And yeah, Steven C, baking fever comes over me regularly when seeing all these creations in the Forum. It's the only hazard here.:icon_rofl:

Hey, Guys, I did this recipe with mulberries, and it was good! I used my no. 10 Favorite Piqua Ware skillet. It looks like about 100 years old, and really could use a trip through an e-tank, but it is a good user. I also did pineapple upside down cake in it, and it survived the fruit acid and sugar very well. Now if I can make something that looks good, and get a picture of it here, I'll be happy.

Susan, I'm glad to hear that your mulberry pie came out well!

I made the crust from a family recipe, not using the store bought, and was very pleased with how it came out. Extra butter prevents sticking, and keeps the cardiologist employed :)

Steve

I also was wondering how it turned out. Well maybe next time we will get some pictures. It's still hot here in Texas maybe in a month or two I'll get a chance to try the new cobbler recipe I picked up. I'll be sure to give a review for you all and let you know how it taste.t

Fall and winter I do the most baking and last week I seen a recipe for upside down caramel banana bread. Now that one had me going. there are a few new ones I want to try. And a pizza, oh wait maybe some soft pretzels too:tasty:

Back