Griswold's Erie

Adam_R.

Lately I've been buying a little of everything as I've been out cast iron hunting. Been wanting to narrow my future collecting down to a certain line of skillets.

I was thinking of the try to collect all size skillets marked "Griswold's Erie". As I understand it from the blue book, sizes 5 through 12 were made. I picked up a really nice#12 at a yard sale a few months ago, and have kept an eye out ever since for more. Have never seen another in this line. They are even scarce on eBay where there are currently a few number 7's listed at $300 & $400. This is significantly higher than the BB's estimated value.

Are the prices out of line even for eBay or is the BB underestimating value (or has market changed). Curious if the line is that rare that I'll be able to complete without spending several hundred per pan. Has anyone seen these in there travels. If so, do you remember the approx asking prices?

Also, I've seen what I believe is called a scotch bowl in this line on eBay. Anyone know the different items made under this line? Dutch Ovens, griddles, ect.

Sorry for the long narrative. As always, appreciate everyone's help.

Adam

No answers on the prices you have seen online.

I picked up an Erie #6 scotch bowl lately which is in the lye bath as we speak. I will post pics shortly. This site has much info on such.

I agree this site has a ton of great info. Best resource I've found for this hobby and a big part of the reason I've become so enthused. I've found so little info anywhere on this series specifically. Didn't know if anyone knew a little more.

Here is a pic of the specific skillet I'm speaking of.

Attachments

• Gris 12.jpg
    Gris 12.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 86
I have a #4 Griswold's Erie scotch bowl. I was curious in this time frame and tried to price other pans. This was a few months back but it seemed like it was across the board. I dont see many come up for sale but I also see the same pieces with a wide range of sell prices.

Hey Adam, I picked up a nice Griswold's Erie #12 skillet at an auction last year with my daughter. Paid $60 for it, cleaned it in my E-tank, then seasoned it with 2 layers of Crisco. Sold it on eBay for $325, just to give you an idea of in-the-wild prices vs. eBay prices.

Good info, thanks for sharing Jody. Hopefully I can find more of these at yards sales. eBay isn't looking affordable.

Adam, keep going to the yard sales. That's where most of my CI came from, and I don't have a fortune in it, either. (Am hoping to get a fortune out of it if I have to sell, of course.:icon_rofl:)

Back