Small Block Logo #3 Griswold Question

Adam_R.

Hi all,

I was reading the "Collecting Strategies" section of this site and it listed a "small block logo #3 Griswold" as not such a hot collectible. What's the deal? Was this just a highly produced skillet or are there other factors?

Thanks,

Adam

That particular, short paragraph was just meant to illustrate there are pieces the novice collector finds attractive that the experienced collector likely finds passé or not even collectibles. Although pretty much all Griswolds made in Erie, PA are considered collectible, the small logos are less coveted, and #3 skillets in general are considered, along with #8s, to be among the most common of sizes.

That particular, short paragraph was just meant to illustrate there are pieces the novice collector finds attractive that the experienced collector likely finds passé or not even collectibles. Although pretty much all Griswolds made in Erie, PA are considered collectible, the small logos are less coveted, and #3 skillets in general are considered, along with #8s, to be among the most common of sizes.

That's makes sense. As a novice just trying to sort out the hobby, I'll be on the lookout since I have no No. 3's in the rotation.

Thanks Doug

Last edited:
Or maybe think of it this way (like I do): If I'm putting together a set of SBL Griswold skillets, I want a #3 SBL. If I'm not, I probably would want to save the money and put it towards something else.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet. I've enjoyed cooking in cast iron greatly and enjoying the hunt for interesting pieces.

I found a small logo Gris for $4, so I got it. Hangs on the wall with all the other #3's. Between the Large Block and an Iron Mountain.

If you don't know what you want to collect for users, buying 3s and getting a feel for them works good without a lot of cost.

I found a small logo Gris for $4, so I got it. Hangs on the wall with all the other #3's. Between the Large Block and an Iron Mountain.

If you don't know what you want to collect for users, buying 3s and getting a feel for them works good without a lot of cost.

That's a really interesting way to look at it. I like the idea. Funny enough, I rarely see 3's in my travels. But 5's galore. Which I've bought 3 of so far, and have unknowingly did what your suggesting. I have a Iron Mountain, BSR Red Mountain, and Lodge 3 notch. I've come to be very fond of the Iron Mountain and on the lookout for other sizes.

Back