Questions about a Griswold No. 8 Griddle

Alan B

I picked up this piece for DIRT cheap from a local guy and I'm sure the reason it was so cheap is because it has a large chip out of one of the corners. As far as I can tell, it's not worth much to a collector but it's still safe to use for cooking on my gas stove. As you will see, the chip is on the underside do it doesn't contact the food surface. Is it safe or will the chip cause the pan to explode when heated or something?

I bought this with the sole intent to cook on it, but if it's not safe I guess it becomes a decoration. Either way, it's going to be my "test dummy" for the lye bath and electrolysis process.

Also, just from doing a little research on this website, am I correct in assuming this was manufactured between 1920-1940 based on the logo and lettering?

My third question is just how much this piece might be worth on the collector circuit if it was actually in tact. Obviously with the damage its collector value is quite diminished.

Sorry I'm not so good of a photographer, but here are a few pics. Thanks for your advice and input.

Image Image Image

I don't think you'll have a problem using it. The RB dates it to the 1940s, with a value of $25-35 if "in excellent condition". That book was last updated 2005, so I think the value ought to be a little higher today.

The one in the listing has the later small block logo. For comparison, the BB, updated 2012, values it $45.

Nice, I do see the difference in the logo and lettering now.

There was a vendor in one of the antiques shops my girlfriend and I like to visit, who sold nothing but Griswold. The cheapest piece in the entire space was $125 and it was a 5" skillet. Some of them were $400-600. I couldn't believe it.

So I bought a generic one with no brand for $5.00 that day. Haha.

Not everyone overprices their Griswold but we sure do see some high prices. Be sure to quote SOLD items, not asking prices or starting/prices. An item has to sell to set a value.

Alan, there will be no danger at all using the chipped griddle. You can even grind or file any rough edges. The damaged iron won't explode or impart any impurities or poisons to your food.

Doug, was the BB really updated in 2012? If so, the people that sold me my copy were not completely honest? I bought it in just this past Oct or Nov and it's dated 2010.

The dating is a bit hazy because of an incident which allegedly occurred at the publisher's facility. A structural collapse at the distribution warehouse resulted in the damage of most of the first run of the latest printing before its release. After some delay, the latest revision was finally shipped. If you have the blue cover with an "Edition 5" logo at upper right on the front, you have the latest. Looking back, I do see that I ordered mine in 11/2010, but did not receive it until 3/2011.

Glad to hear I shouldn't have any problems with the chip. I will definitely file it down a bit to smooth out the roughness. I look forward to putting this thing in service but I have to setup my lye and electrolysis tanks first. I've got a really cruddy #8 skillet that's also unusable until it's stripped.

Well this griddle cleaned up beautifully. After two separate 1hr sessions in the electro tank, I got this:

And a round of seasoning:

I couldn't get the black "stains" off but I have faith that they will blend in over time. I'm going to give it another round of seasoning tonight and then it'll be all ready to make croque monsieur this weekend!

Straight vinegar and a stainless steel scrubber could probably have diminished those stains, but the amount of elbow grease required on a piece that big probably wasn't worth it in this case.

I'll remember that for the next one I do! The griddle has a few casting defects, so along with the stains, it adds to the character I say.

Back