Bacon & Eggs

Yes, I forgot to mention I put a lid on the pan after adding the dab of water. But my egg yolks still look bright yellow, so I don't know what the difference is.... :?:

When cooking sunny side up eggs, I add about a 1/2 egg shell of water to the pan and cover. The steam cooks the tops without turning, leaving runny yellows, which I like.

As do I, Donna. Makes cleanup easy. It's really a cross between a fried and poached or steamed egg when we do this.

A related technique is the basted egg, which went out of style with galoshes and hula hoops.

http://www.organicauthority.com/foodie-buzz/what-are-basted-eggs.html

They all pretty much taste like ... eggs, LOL.

I never heard them called "basted" before. My dad, on the very few occasions I saw him cook, would flip the grease up onto the eggs with his spatula. He would probably have gotten a kick out of the fact that his cooking method had a name--haha!

I just lightly scrape the bacon schmutz with my spatula before cracking the eggs into the skillet. Depending on how much bacon I've fried and what size skillet I'm using, I may or may not drain off some of the bacon grease before frying the eggs.

Yup! I scrape the pan bottom quickly, remove the bits with most of the grease and in go the eggs.

Back