Cast iron skillet pizza

I always use my CI for making pizza. It's so fast and easy. Love the deep dish pizza from the CI.

They both look so yummy. Thanks for the pictures!!!

I always use my CI for making pizza. It's so fast and easy. Love the deep dish pizza from the CI.

They both look so yummy. Thanks for the pictures!!!

You're quite welcome! It was somewhat of a trial-and-error run. I found that a small batch of a tablespoon or so of olive oil mixed with a tablespoon or two of flower and another of corn meal and spread on interior of skillet before ya drop the dough in will help reduce sticking because of the high temperature required, it adds an "buffer" should a given skillet not have a good, well established seasoning. The recipe called for a 1 lb of pizza dough, but the only ready made pizza dough I could find last week was Pillsbury 13.8 oz roll in the dairy case. I found today a 14.1 oz package from Wewalka http://wewalka.us/ They roll out in a square shape, like the Pillsbury brand, so ya have to improvise and shape/cut to to fit the size of skillet you want to use...the larger skillet, the thinner crust...otherwise, choose your sauce, cheese and toppings ya like and ka-boom!:icon_rofl: :glutton:

Last edited:
I've always used my own crust and flatten it out, put it in the CI pan with olive oil, brown one side, flip it over, put the toppings on which used to be the bottom and then while the other side browns, throw it under the broiler and all the toppings get cooked. YUM! You can make it thin or thick, either way it's really good and crispy. Fast too! I've never had a problem with the dough sticking.

Between the talk about fried pizza crust and apple upside down cake I’m about to need some fry bread topped with apples sautéed in butter and brown sugar. Hold the honey.

Hilditch

I've always used my own crust and flatten it out, put it in the CI pan with olive oil, brown one side, flip it over, put the toppings on which used to be the bottom and then while the other side browns, throw it under the broiler and all the toppings get cooked. YUM! You can make it thin or thick, either way it's really good and crispy. Fast too! I've never had a problem with the dough sticking.

Well, I haven't graduated yet to making my own pizza dough, yet...:icon_scratchchin: Some recipes call for yeast and ya gotta let it sit for X no. of hours etc...but I will get there. Thanks for the tip on flipping dough. I will try flipping the dough as you mentioned. The reason I did what I did was my skillet had a freshly restored and just wanted to add something oily to help reduce sticking, add layer of seasoning at each use, which it did by the way. Skillet cleaned up rather easy and I had the best pepperoni pizza ever! I used marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni. Kept it simple for starters. It will get creative later on! :glutton: :tasty:

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Between the talk about fried pizza crust and apple upside down cake I’m about to need some fry bread topped with apples sautéed in butter and brown sugar. Hold the honey.

Hilditch

Affirmative on that! :glutton: :tasty:

Hilditch

Were going to need pictures for sure when you get it done.

On the pizza note I haven't tried one yet but it's on the short list. I don't have a skillet big enough as of yet. May have to use two # 8's and as I recall you can freeze what dough you don't need for later.

EC, a suggestion here--try "Rapid Rise" or some other quick rise yeast. It shortens the time to make crust dough. Your pizza is lovely though--you and Hilditch help keep me creative in the kitchen! And of course, HUNGRY!!

EC, a suggestion here--try "Rapid Rise" or some other quick rise yeast. It shortens the time to make crust dough. Your pizza is lovely though--you and Hilditch help keep me creative in the kitchen! And of course, HUNGRY!!

Ok, thank you Sharon! I'll give Rapid Rise a try soon.

I make a big batch of Pizza Dough and cut it in the size of what I think will work and freeze them separately. Pizza Dough is always better used the next day when you make it from scratch. Always. It gets the gluten going more so and in turn, it stretches better.

I make a big batch of Pizza Dough and cut it in the size of what I think will work and freeze them separately. Pizza Dough is always better used the next day when you make it from scratch. Always. It gets the gluten going more so and in turn, it stretches better.

Ok, thank you Nancy for that idea!

I tried the Rapid Rise yeast by Fleischmann's for pizza dough and it turned out great! I used my 100 yr old(approx.) Wagner #8 that had a slick smooth interior surface. Greased it a little with lard and when it was done, pizza slid out so easy with no sticking whatsoever! Unbelievable! I used this recipe from Breadworld.com.

http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Refrigerated-Pizza-Crust-Dough

http://imgur.com/a/xoDR9

Back