Soup & Corn Bread

MDFraley

Had a hankering for some vegetable soup and corn sticks so I threw a few vegetables in my WW Round Roaster (Cast Alum. Hammered) and while that was cooking made a couple corn stick pans of buttermilk corn bread. Corn sticks were made in my "Puritan" & "Merit", #1270 pans by Griswold.
Presentation pictures are nothing like what Hilditch puts out but he has a wife to impress and I don't. Anyway.....hope you all get hungry looking at these pic's.

http://imgur.com/a/ZQJvy

Susan & I agree there is nothing wrong with your presentation or pics. That soup looks really good. I can taste that corn in a rich broth. I made corn sticks at Easter and when I thought they were done they did not want to let go. A few more minutes in the oven and they fell out. Getting them right is cookin’! It looks like you did good.

Hilditch

Susan & I agree there is nothing wrong with your presentation or pics. That soup looks really good. I can taste that corn in a rich broth. I made corn sticks at Easter and when I thought they were done they did not want to let go. A few more minutes in the oven and they fell out. Getting them right is cookin’! It looks like you did good.

Hilditch

Did you notice that one batch of the corn sticks was darker than the other? The Puritan pan is just a little heavier cast iron than the Merit pan. Both were pre-heated the same and both baked at the same time and temperature. Amazing what a fraction of weight/thickness in cast iron affects the outcome of the product being cooked. I do a 410 degree at about 20~25 minutes unless I load the mix up with cheese & Jalapeno Peppers which I add about 5~10 minutes.

Oh does that ever look good. I love your corn bread sticks. I am sure you took a few bites for us too. :biggrin: It's nice to see others "good eats". Thanks for sharing!

I noticed, but chalked it up to the first pan filled. Interesting. And here we have another one of the multitude of variables to deal with when cookin’. Outside of large corporations with micro-managed recipes and tools cooking is an art and a new challenge every time for many of us. Understanding, knowing your tools and experience are all significant parts of the art. A fun journey.

Hilditch

Beautiful, MD! It's nice to see what properly baked corn sticks look like! I haven't had the technique to get such great results, but thanks to this forum, I have an idea what I did wrong, and will now try again. Oh, yes, the pictures are lovely--and now I'm even hungrier!:laughup:

Had a hankering for some vegetable soup and corn sticks so I threw a few vegetables in my WW Round Roaster (Cast Alum. Hammered) and while that was cooking made a couple corn stick pans of buttermilk corn bread. Corn sticks were made in my "Puritan" & "Merit", #1270 pans by Griswold.
Presentation pictures are nothing like what Hilditch puts out but he has a wife to impress and I don't. Anyway.....hope you all get hungry looking at these pic's.

http://imgur.com/a/ZQJvy

Trying to feed all of us, eh? :D Looks :tasty: Good job!

Back