Toy my ***

W. Hilditch

Dinner for one tonight. The size 0 skillet is perfect for an 8 oz tenderloin even if the French fries didn't fit.

Hilditch

Hilditch, what a great idea! Actually, in my humble opinion, these little guys are butter melters. That's what I use mine for anyway--it's an enameled 40's or 50's vintage Gris, so it hangs up looking pretty when not in use. (Was I ever lucky to find it!) However, your usage idea is much more elegant, I think. Yum!! PS--Do you ever invite strangers to dinner? ;-)

Yesterday, I came across a tiny advertising skillet and the handle looks just like yours. It is 3 1/2" in diameter (not counting the pour spouts). On the back of the handle is stamped a number 2. Any idea who made it?

How big is a number 0?

The one with the steak is a Lodge marked with a 0 size # and a pattern number 1. It is almost 4” diameter.

The one with the chicken is a BSR advertising skillet without a size # but it does have a tiny pattern number under the handle, an 8. It is almost 3 3/4” diameter. Doug posted a label for these small skillets with handles like this that advertised them as spoon rests or ashtrays using the groove in the handle as a cig rest.

It is reported that there are many low quality foreign copies of this size but I think these two are the real thing. I have had the Lodge for 35 years and the quality is good for both.

Hilditch

My kid STILL talks about that steak. When he comes with me on a CI hunt he badgers me constantly to find a #0 so I can cook one "Hilditch style". Brand new Lodge goes for $4.99 on Amazon and I've given up on trying to find a vintage one. I'm in for 2.

Lunch/Late Brunch: Fresh corn chowder and an egg, pea-meal bacon and cheese on a toasted muffin. Good.

Yes, that is my size 0 rolling pin that I use on pizza crusts. Works good with the palm of my hand and is easy to control.

Hilditch

Made my kids their first breakfast on the new #0's this morning despite my daughter's insistence that they're toys, not cookware. A fried egg with cheese & a sausage patty on a toasted English muffin. They want it again tomorrow. Toy my ***!

Back