Chili and CI

I made chili in my #9 Griswold DO last weekend and have been doing so since I got it a couple years ago. I havent had any issues with it.

My question is.....how long do you leave it in the CI cooking? A few hrs? Hot and out? I always cook my chili and let it simmer for hours!

My question is.....how long do you leave it in the CI cooking? A few hrs? Hot and out? I always cook my chili and let it simmer for hours!

Good question that I'd like to know myself, I don't make it very often and the last few times I made it was low and slow in crockpot. And before that it was stove top in a stock pot at low simmer a while, I think it helps add deeper flavor with some time.

Steve,

Good question that I'd like to know myself, I don't make it very often and the last few times I made it was low and slow in crockpot. And before that it was stove top in a stock pot at low simmer a while, I think it helps add deeper flavor with some time.

Steve,

I'm the same, but I never make a small enough batch for a crockpot. The last time I had 2 huge containers cooking and enough for 24 meals (btw, each meal is for 3 people). That's how much I make.

JosephD
Wow , who are you cooking for? Church, Charity, commercially or extended family? My largest DO/Camp stove is maybe 10 quarts.

None of my business, just curious

Jack

My family, lol. We eat a lot of chili come the winter months. Just me, my wife, 12 yr old son, and now my daughter but she doesn't eat the chili just yet. But we eat a lot of chili and then sometimes will eat chili spaghetti.

No harm in asking at all!

Joseph

24 meals x 3 servings = 72 servings. At 1 lb. per serving that is 72 pints or 36 quarts. Two 20 qt. pots or a 10 gallon cauldron with a canoe paddle would work just fine. Let’s see, for me that would start with browning 24 lbs. of ground beef. Wow!

Hilditch

Joseph, I may have been a little too generous with my serving size. I measured and we do 10 oz. servings and seldom go back for more. At that rate it would be 23 qts. total for 72 servings and I’d be browning 15 lbs. of meat like you. My 3 qt. recipe says 6 servings but 9 would be more realistic for us.

Hilditch

Hey guys; wow, that's a lot of chili!! I cook mine completely in my 5 qt. unmarked Wagner DO, and it's MY chili, so, yeah, it has beans, tomato, etc. No problems with the pot yet. My Mom-in-law probably made 30 yrs. of pot roast in it, so that's helped me out. Now, would somebody please tell this poor Dam-Yankee how to make Texas chili? I'm pretty what sure what I make is some kind of ground beef and bean stew, so I'd love to see a genuine Texas chili recipe. Thanks in advance! S.

Now, would somebody please tell this poor Dam-Yankee how to make Texas chili? I'm pretty what sure what I make is some kind of ground beef and bean stew, so I'd love to see a genuine Texas chili recipe. Thanks in advance! S.

Obviously everybody's going to have their own specific version, but mine is very similar to the one Doug has on the main site, posted here:
http://www.castironcollector.com/cooking.php

There are differences but here's the highlights:
- I try to use a variety of dried (and fresh) chiles, not just ancho, but ancho is a staple.
- Seasoning blend is similar but a little different.
- No beer blended in mine.
- Tomatoes, both fresh and crushed, included
- Beef is coarse ground instead of cubed (I sometimes use turkey instead)

And then a key ingredient I often see missing from chili is a thickener. Preferred starch is masa corn flour. Some recipes will have you mix it with water then add it but I found that turns into lumps. Instead I make a roux then add it about 2/3 - 3/4 through the cooking time.

If/when I do a batch later this season I'll post the full recipe in the recipe section.

Wowza, Eric! I'm looking this one over very closely! Thanks for your fast response--my hubby is going to love the chili requirements--he likes it hot! Thanks, S.

Back