First Shot at E-tank

In my experience, if there is any rust at all on a piece, even if it's fairly superficial, that area, or the rust itself tends to absorb many times more oil than clean iron. It looks like you've got a little rust left in the pitted areas, not new flash rust. If you are generally okay with that, and are going to use it as a fryer anyway, I'd say just keep seasoning it, or better yet fry something, the deep oil will certainly give the rusty areas all the oil they want to absorb. After you fry in it, wipe off the oil to a thin layer and toss it in the oven to harden up everything.
And remember, fried food is better with friends!

In my experience, if there is any rust at all on a piece, even if it's fairly superficial, that area, or the rust itself tends to absorb many times more oil than clean iron. It looks like you've got a little rust left in the pitted areas, not new flash rust. If you are generally okay with that, and are going to use it as a fryer anyway, I'd say just keep seasoning it, or better yet fry something, the deep oil will certainly give the rusty areas all the oil they want to absorb. After you fry in it, wipe off the oil to a thin layer and toss it in the oven to harden up everything.
And remember, fried food is better with friends!

It did seem to be very thirsty when seasoning, so that very well could be. I'm still a bit new to this whole CI restoration process, so that's news to me...but it would fit what I'm experiencing.

I guess the real question in that case is whether the rust will be sealed by a seasoning layer on top. If it will, then I'm probably fine with it. If not, then I'll probably need to send it back to the tank and strip it again.

I have that same kettle. It has been a pain ever since I bought it. It was painted flat black when I bought it. After removing the paint in the lye I was left with a total rust bucket. I walk away from it sometimes because it's so frustrating. Sometimes I boil water in it for humidity and every time I do it keeps giving up more crud. It no longer appears to be rusty but those pits are holding onto stuff I would not want in my food. When it finally boils without a brown frothy oil streak on the top I will consider seasoning it.

When cleaning pitted pieces a stiff wire brush is invaluable. Use a tiny circular motion like brushing your teeth to insure that the bristles are getting down into the pits and removing whatever your e-tank loosened up.
Bonnie, if you are getting oil slicks from your piece, it sounds like it might want more time in the lye bath.

Here's where it stands after another layer of seasoning. I did use a rag and paint brush, and I'm 100% confident about getting it covered this time. It certainly looks better now, but I'll have to see how it stands up over time.

Exterior: http://i.imgur.com/RSobsAm.jpg
Interior: http://i.imgur.com/OqKZXju.jpg
Interior: http://i.imgur.com/wH8a8ll.jpg (close up looking down into cooking surface)

If it has issues going forward, I'll strip it again and get in their with a wire brush of some sort to make a stronger effort at the rust in the pits. Altogether, I'm happy with my experiment so far, and I learned a lot. Now I can start rotating my other "new" pieces through the tank.

Heat some lard, like you were going to cook fish, and let it cool. An inch in the bottom will do the job. If pitting is also on the interior walls, use a wood spoon to spread the lard. Let cool and wipe out the lard with paper towels or soft cloth. Small amounts of lard will remain in the pits. Reheat and wipe until all lard is gone.

Heat some lard, like you were going to cook fish, and let it cool. An inch in the bottom will do the job. If pitting is also on the interior walls, use a wood spoon to spread the lard. Let cool and wipe out the lard with paper towels or soft cloth. Small amounts of lard will remain in the pits. Reheat and wipe until all lard is gone.

That sounds like a good plan...I'll give that a shot soon.

I've got another rust bucket in the tank now, so I'll be going through this process again. The rest of my pieces that I need to run through are in better condition to start with...so I figured I'd get the worst ones done first.

Back