Griswold Square Utility Skillet

Earl M

Hello. My name is Earl and I just bought an unusual piece that I believe is a Griswold Small Logo damaged piece that was still sold to the public or a take home piece from a Griswold Employee. This piece is missing the Tab with the Hole in it located on the opposite corner from the handle. It looks like a Factory edge where you can see the saw marks on the edge and no difference from other parts of the edge. Additionally, it is missing the NO.768, ERIE PA. and the Molders Mark? I will add pictures as soon as I can. Thank You in advance for any reply's, Earl M.

Saw marks or grinding marks? It is common to see grinding marks where they ground down the side gated pieces. If it was ground down the marks would be consistent with the other ground down marks. If it was cut with a hack saw the marks would appear differently....Pictures would be best.

Hello again, I did a quick rough clean to reveal some more details on this piece. I did find a partial NO.768 which this one only shows the 68 faintly. This makes me think this piece was from a bad mold? I included a photo of this and some others. One Photograph shows a repair someone did right in the center. I am sure that individual did that because of the Protrusion Spot in the center found on the bottom. It likely had a Dimple in the middle they wanted to fill in. Referring to the Hanging Tab, you can see in the photographs I provided that the Tab with a hole does not exist, most likely broken off. It appears to me that edge was ground down and looks like this was done at their Factory? I may have answered most of my questions except for ....Would Griswold have let one go to the public with a broken Hanging Tag and is this one significant to a collector? Thank you again for any reply's, Earl M
NOTE: I could not put more than three photo's up. Can I add more in another Reply Post?

Attachments

• Aa 646.jpg
    Aa 646.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Aa 648.jpg
    Aa 648.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 49
  • Aa 642.jpg
    Aa 642.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 51
Probably a recast of some sort. Need a photo of the entire bottom. The photo limit is per post.

Hello, I have added some additional Pictures here of the bottom and a couple more. EARL M

Attachments

• Aa 640.jpg
    Aa 640.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Aa 658.jpg
    Aa 658.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 36
  • Aa 647.jpg
    Aa 647.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 35
The blob in the middle of the TM implies a sprue mark consistent with a recast, but then there would be no need to grind off side gate roughness. However it was cast, I would still say it's not authentic, not even a "second" or an employee take home. Substandard castings would simply have been remelted.

Hello again everyone, I have provided a couple more photographs of the suspected recast/fake Square Utility Skillet. Thanks again for any response. EARL M

Attachments

• Aa 858.jpg
    Aa 858.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 30
  • Aa 859.jpg
    Aa 859.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Aa 861.jpg
    Aa 861.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 24
Back