Baltimore Two Gallon Kettle

Jeffrey R.

I have a soft spot for these 3 legged kettles.
Going out on a limb here. I am thinking that it was made by the Isaac A. Sheppard & Co. First in Philidelphia, and then Baltimore

cic_1361.jpeg

cic_1362.jpeg

Getting seasoned today.

Lovely!! Any idea of the age? Can you post closeups of the ears & legs? I'm awfully new at this, but Tyler says those are the most important parts for placing an age.

So the kettle is sitting here on the floor with 4 others. I have not looked at the gray book yet as we have been haying and cleaning up the fields for the snowmobile trail.
So some eye candy for the Halloween Brew.:evil:

Note the leg placement on this kettle V. the Wood Bishop kettle below.

2%25252Cgallon%25252Ckettle%25252C_1413.jpeg

2%25252Cgallon%25252Ckettle%25252C_1414.jpeg

wood%25252Cbishop%25252Ckettle_0807.jpg

The ears! Need to see the ears! Can you turn it sideways, maybe even a closeup? Looks to be in gorgeous condition.

I don't see Baltimore in the gray book, but he does say triangular legs, splayed, and set well underneath are typical of 19th century. But he stresses that the ears are the best way to date them. From what I can see, they seem to fit his examples of around 1860-1900.

Last edited:
It turned out really nice. The way the legs are positioned would make it easier to tip over. The Wood Bishop looks much sturdier.

The ears! Need to see the ears! Can you turn it sideways, maybe even a closeup? Looks to be in gorgeous condition.

I don't see Baltimore in the gray book, but he does say triangular legs, splayed, and set well underneath are typical of 19th century. But he stresses that the ears are the best way to date them. From what I can see, they seem to fit his examples of around 1860-1900.

Next clear day new photo. I will also do the legs as they also help with dating.

No, no Baltimore in the gray book.

Bonnie, you are right, but it is cool looking. Really tippy, I guess I will not use that one for my Halloween Brew. RickC might like it for his desk, it will tip over easier to get at the treats while sitting. He does that all day, yes?:covri:

So now you had me pull down the GB, and pick up the kettle.
This is what I come up with. Thin triangular legs, dates it around late 1870 - 1900s

Next clear day new photo. I will also do the legs as they also help with dating.

No, no Baltimore in the gray book.

Bonnie, you are right, but it is cool looking. Really tippy, I guess I will not use that one for my Halloween Brew. RickC might like it for his desk, it will tip over easier to get at the treats while sitting. He does that all day, yes?:covri:

So now you had me pull down the GB, and pick up the kettle.
This is what I come up with. Thin triangular legs, dates it around late 1870 - 1900s
Ears are a round cross-section from what I can tell, and they really look, from what I can tell, like the 2nd and 3rd to last examples in the sketches... but particularly the 1860-1870 example (see the flared rim in dashed lines?)

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Is this the same kettle, or are the ears different on yours? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/29203097556245466/

Some history on the company: http://www.westsidewatchbangor.org/WoodBishopCo.pdf

(key point: In 1867, they bought the foundry property)

I was dating the Baltimore Kettle.

Yes, The Wood Bishop kettle is the same kettle as mine, just not mine.

Thin triangular legs push the date a little.

I had a #11 muffin pan from Wood Bishop, sold. I like the kettles better.

I was dating the Baltimore Kettle.

Yes, The Wood Bishop kettle is the same kettle as mine, just not mine.

Thin triangular legs push the date a little.

I had a #11 muffin pan from Wood Bishop, sold. I like the kettles better.

Ohhhh! I thought that was just another side of yours with a different name on it. D'oh! That's what happens when I post whilst cooking dinner!

New photos.

Remember, Thin triangular legs push the date a little and also the wire bail. I have a kettle that has a hand forged bail, very heavy.See last photo (forged wire bail). I have another but never put up any photos here. The bail is made of square stock

baltimore%25252Ckettle_1445.jpeg

baltimore%25252Ckettle_1446.jpeg

baltimore%25252Ckettle_1447.jpeg

chandler%25252Ckettle_0455.jpg

I really like both of them! I don't know what it means, but it looks as though your new one doesn't have the vertical seam that the other one has. Newer technology, perhaps? The 2nd one is clearly the older of the two, it seems to me.

I really like both of them! I don't know what it means, but it looks as though your new one doesn't have the vertical seam that the other one has. Newer technology, perhaps? The 2nd one is clearly the older of the two, it seems to me.

They both have the vertical seam, on the sides between the ears. I think you see that on all kettles. The ears are on each 1/2 of the top mold, 3 & 4 piece molds on some kettles.

Yes the 2nd one is clearly the older of the two. Maybe I will have take a photo of my older kettle?????

Yeah, now that I think more about it, I guess you're right. You'd have to have the vertical seam to get the pattern out, wouldn't you?

Here is a photo that I forgot that was in my album.

The kettle on the left note the bail is made of square stock, forged. This kettle has the D shaped legs.

Note the mold / seam lines on all the kettles.

Do you want to try and date the kettle on the left? :icon_scratchchin:

3%25252Ckettles_0725.jpg

The one on the left... 1760-1800? Wow!!! Can that be right?

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Have you seen the book, Dutch Ovens Chronicled? http://tinyurl.com/nag47hs

Seems to have some interesting history about pots, kettles, and cauldrons.

GB Page 38 D section legs, Page 40 that is my kettle only that kettle has Triangular section legs.

So yes, 1760 1780 would be fair to say.:icon_thumbsup:

Back