Dutch Ovens (Camp)

Charles_K

Recently, I posted a picture of one of my Dutch ovens with food in it, in the Introduction forum. One person mentioned she'd not seen that style D.O. (legged) before. As I've done a pretty fair amount of cooking in those old black pots, both patio and in camps, I thought I'd post a picture of my "cookware."

Bottom to top.

A Lodge 14 " D.O. I have another exactly like it but my wife thought it'd look nice beside the fireplace ... with her collection of pine cones in it. :-D

Next two above are Lodge 12" Dutch ovens.

Next is a BSR 10" Century.

Atop that 10" Century is an ancient 10" Dutch oven, a bottom gate mark but otherwise unmarked, without the lid. It has a welded crack in the side from long, long ago.

It has been in my family, according to my late mother and grandmother, for over 125 years. Because there is no lid which was lost (broken??) many, many years ago, I've only used it to make a couple of cobblers and cornbread in our kitchen oven. Ordinarily it sits in an honored position on the kitchen counter beside the stove with a couple potatoes, onions, and raw garlic in it.

In addition, there is a lid stand or trivet, and four different lid/pot lifters. Two are factory made, two were homemade for me by a friend who was a welder.

That's my collection of Dutch ovens, three legged camp ovens. Many a good meal has been cooked in them and I'd not be without a couple, no matter.
:icon_thumbsup:

C.K.

That is a lot of iron to haul off to camp, but one needs to eat. How many have you broken over the years?

When you go to camp do you also pack in briquettes, or use just wood?

Jeffery R., fortunately, I've never broken a Dutch oven. Of course, accidents happen, but so far so good.

Yes, I take charcoal briquettes to camp (vehicle camping) as here in Idaho, it is very difficult to find any hard wood with which to cook. Most wood here is coniferous with some aspen, but I've not found aspen to be very useful for D.O. cooking.

When I lived in Calif., oak along with Mountain mahogany were very plentiful up in the Sierra, so I used the coals from either of those. No problems.

I grew up using either oak or other hard woods for the coals, but when it is not available, the briquettes come in mighty handy.

I have never taken all that iron to a camp. Depending on how many of my buddies will be in camp, the two 12" Lodge D.Os. are quite sufficient. Sometimes I'll add the 10" Century. Other times, depending on the menus planned, I'll take one 12" and the 10" D.O.

If I were going to cook for a bunch, I'd take the 14" Lodge, the two 12"s, and the 10" Century. I very rarely cook for a crowd anymore.

As for the weight, my Ford F250 4x4 doesn't seem to mind the weight. Just keeps plugging right along up into the high country. :chuckle:

C.K.

Back