Griswold Waffle Iron?

JKress

I would love to have any information on this Griswold Mfg. Co. waffle iron.
Just can't find any information on this particular model. Would love to get a date range for this based on these pictures.

Paddle numbers are 976D and 977D. Base is marked 975 only. No other marks.

It appears these WI's seem to fall into a black hole for identification, maybe because of mass production? There are so many variations of the logo. 'American', 'New American', inside the center ring, outside of the center ring and a mixed combination of both. Lol

I have searched and searched, including here at CIC. So far I am inclined to believe this particular waffle iron was produced sometime between the 1930's and 1970's based on what I have found online. If someone could narrow the range down a little bit, I would be greatly appreciative... and thank you so much.

waffleiron-1.jpg waffleiron-2.jpg waffleiron-4.jpg

This waffle iron makes incredible waffles every time I use it. My youngest daughter loves them and helps make them every time I pull it out.

The absence of this example from both the RB and BB makes dating a little difficult, but characteristics can often allow inferences to be made. The ball hinge places it after examples with button, scissor, finger or acorn hinges. One of the patents referenced is for an overall waffle iron design; the other for the base. The first shows a hinge design that outwardly has the acorn shape, but the joining mechanism appears like that of the first ball hinges. Re: dating, stovetop waffle irons were discontinued long before the 1970s; most were gone by the late 1940s. None ever made it to the era of automated molding. So, obviously after the patent dates, but before the irons with the slant logo. Most likely somewhere early to mid-00s to late 1910s.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US674628

Thank you Doug. I am not surprised you provided this information so quickly.

I didn't even think to expand my search to the patent database. :oops:

Our five year old loves waffles. The waffles made with this maker has turned her off of the grocery store frozen selection. Lol

Thanks again Doug, I appreciate it.

Back