Crisco on top of Pam ?

Jeffrey F

I recently purchased a very nice Griswold #8 skillet that was cleaned and seasoned with PAM. To me, it doesn't look like the seasoning is very "thick" should I say ?
Really want to use this pan and am wondering if I should season it some more.. by adding layers of crisco seasoning on top of the Pam.
My question then is can I do that? Add a different seasoning on top of PAM, Or should this pan have an appointment with my new e tank before I start over and build up a nice seasoning of crisco ?
Thanks for any input I can get on this.

I would just start using it, but I see no reason you couldn't season over it with Crisco if you really wanted to. PAM is nothing more than canola oil. Since folks use lots of different oils/fats in cooking and often in the same pan over time, I can't see that it would make any difference in the long run. I season with Crisco, but I don't cook with it.

My experience goes back 20 years but I had a horrible time building seasoning when using PAM. After 10 years of trying to build seasoning in my goto skillet it was still far from good. I then heard PAM had silicone in it as well as an ingredient in the accelerant that broke down the carbon bonds. I can’t prove that was true then or now. Not all chemical ingredients are listed on the can.

Once I stopped using PAM my seasoning built up perfectly finally covering the valleys and hills in my Lodge.

I don’t know that I would strip it, but I would use canola and not the new Crisco to add another coat of seasoning over the whole skillet.

Hilditch

For myself, every piece gets striped and then into the eTank. My issue is with the other ingredients as W. Hilditch stated, and also most all pieces just are not cleaned to my liking by others.

I hope there's some butter or bacon grease under all those peppers and onions! :glutton:

There was some olive oil... Then as the party got going in went some butter :)
amazingly non stick I'll say that... That was the first go round with that pan for me. My Lodge skillets are so rough compared to the bottom of that one.

Back