Syrup Kettles

Lynne G

This is my first post, thanks for allowing me to join.

We have a couple of large syrup kettles that we used to use to boil maple syrup down in. Once we moved further south we stopped tapping trees and no longer use the kettles for much. There is some rust inside both of them and I'm wondering what I can do to keep these kettles in good shape since I can't imagine how they could be re-seasoned.
sugar-camp-March2009.jpg

Keep a thin layer of oil on them periodically and keep them dry. I have successfully cleaned a few in the e tank and re-seasoned them by placing them upside down over a turkey fryer for a heat source.

I don't have an e tank set up yet, but even when I do I wasn't planning for one large enough to hold these kettles. Maybe I'll have to revise my plans.

If the rust is only on the inside, large format pieces can become their own electrolysis tank. Fill with water and dissolve an appropriate amount of washing soda. Use a 2x4, a piece of PVC pipe or other non-conductive material as a crossbar and hang a piece of sacrificial metal from it. Attach the negative cable of a manual battery charger to the side of the pot and the positive to the sacrificial anode.

I'm not sure there's no rust on the outside, but it is primarily on the inside.
Is there any way to gauge how old these kettles are? When did most foundries cease production of 20-30-40 gallon kettles?

Back