Reid's Pan Pat Dec 1870

I found the same pan a few months ago up in Colorado and sent a PM to Doug to find out the same question you have ask. I have since deleted the PM but best I remember it is a legit pan even though it looks similar to the present day John Wright pans. Its listed in my small paperback Wagner Ware and other companies book on page 93 with a value of $300 which is way over estimated.
Your pan looks very nice so hang on to it. Mine is still waiting to be cleaned but hopefully it will clean up as nice as yours.
Doug may weigh in with additional info but I don't think the pan was assigned to any other foundry for production.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Forgot to add that the pan I have has the patent date of July 18. 1871 on the end where your pan says 1870. Here's the link in out data base.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/37/2b/52/2029ff04442f40/USD5132.pdf

Here's a pic of the date on the end of my Reid's cake pan. Interesting that when you Google (Reid's cast iron cake pan) and go to view images the ones that are shown all have the date of 1870 same as yours. Strange that the piece I have has the 1871 patent date. Could be that he was making pans in 1870 without having the approved patent date as shown in the patent info on my previous post.
In any case it's an old pan and well cast. Might note that there's one on the PanHandler site for around $225.
https://imgur.com/YKCImrf

that is very interesting.... so someone had a pattern made with the 1870 date and then someone (same foundry or someone else) made a new pattern made with the 1871 date...
(yeah, I saw the one on the pan handler site... I always get a kick out of those prices)

The 1870 patent addresses the functionality of the pan, originally as a "dripping pan" with a revolving meat grate mounted on it, but one that could also be used as a baking pan. The 1871 patent appears to cover the design of the shape, as it is a "USD" patent. My guess would be the 1870 patent was slapped on the baking pan design as a bluff to ward off copying until the 1871 patent was awarded.

Back