Electrolysis in a Large Kettle

Chuck D

I recently acquired a 35 gallon cast iron kettle and I want to put it into service as a booyah kettle. since its so large I don't have a container in which I can submerge the kettle so I have a question...

can I use the kettle as the container and attach the negative lead to the kettle and the positive lead to an iron rod suspended in the center of the kettle full of electrolyte? I will set the kettle on a non-conducting rubber mat.

I know it won't clean the outside but I don't much care as it will be covered in soot all the time anyways.

Chuck

It is a common technique for large format pieces and things like rusty insides of tea kettles.

I’ve also seen pictures where someone suspended them upside down and used a outdoor gas cooker to heat the inside up to burn on the seasoning. Keep us informed on how it turned out. At some point I have one to do. Too busy on a home repair project right now.

I’ve also seen pictures where someone suspended them upside down and used a outdoor gas cooker to heat the inside up to burn on the seasoning.

Thanks... that's a great idea. The kettle has those lifting lugs so it shouldn't be too hard to suspend it and rotate it around for seasoning. I'll post some pictures when done.

Back