Hammered Lid Finish?

Casey H.

I picked up a hammered #8 lid. All signs are that it is a Wagner - it has the characteristic small scalloping under the lid. What is puzzling is that it appears to have a finish on it - it is hard, and etank applications have no effect on it. It has some chips in it, so you can see it in person but doesn't show in pics too great. It really doesn't look like nickel plated. Did these ever come in enamel coated? Or some other finish?

GdAHZWNl.jpg

VUFl19Cl.jpg

WSwTLfgl.jpg

Mxs0QZXl.jpg

This came with a hammered finish CHF chicken fryer, but they are obviously a mismatch. I guess it doesn't have the small number like a Wagner might, so I'm not sure.

Does it feel heavy enough to be iron? Check it with a magnet before doing anything else to it. Electro and lye will both dissolve aluminum.

I think it's just the the deterioration of the iron like rust or a flaw mixing the iron .most of it should flake off in the E tank if not you'll have to be careful and pick it off with a screwdriver and hammer or a wire wheel. I've had an early Wagner and I just did a lodge that was the same way.

Back