Gas Grill for Stripping a Pan?

Chris DeYoung

I found a few threads on using a gas grill for seasoning rather than the oven---preferable in Arizona in the summer, when it's good not to heat up the house more than necessary---but does your typical gas grill get hot enough to strip the old finish from a pan if you want to re-season it from scratch?

My grill is a mid-size 3-burner one, and seems to get pretty hot, though I need to buy a thermometer for it still. My oven doesn't have a cleaning cycle, but even if it did it would be preferable not to use it in the summer here.

Thanks!

Thanks -- after doing a bit (ok, a bunch) more reading, and debating about whether I really want to mess with keeping and eventually disposing of a large bin of caustic lye solution, I think I'm going to try the electrolysis route. I already have a suitable battery charger, so all I really need to find is a container (inexpensive trash can should do fine) and some throwaway scrap iron or steel.

I assume the anode should be roughly the same size as the pan, or larger?

The larger the anode, the more efficient the process. Don't totally dismiss the lye tank, though. It's a great unattended workhorse.

The larger the anode, the more efficient the process. Don't totally dismiss the lye tank, though. It's a great unattended workhorse.

I've been using two 20 gallon totes for lye tanks. They usually have around 25 pieces in them. I only work on my iron on Saturdays and can usually get a dozen or so ready to season before noon. Numbers vary depending on how bad the pans were to begin with and how well the old Florida sun helps out. It's self reliant and is going on 2 years now so in my specific case, lye is my guy!

Can you damage a pan if you leave it in the electrolysis bath too long? (Does it remove iron gradually or anything?)

I guess I need to look up a basic chemistry refresher.... :)

From what I can tell, the answer to my own question is no---you won't do the pan any harm by over-cooking it in the electrolysis bath. Metal from the cathode isn't consumed in the process; it's mostly the bubbling action of generated hydrogen that does the actual cleaning mechanically.

Back