BSR Small Fry

It was sold as a piece of actual cookware. Probably for something like a single burger, an egg, or a grilled cheese. More a novelty than a collectible. I wouldn't think more than $10-15.

I have one and use it several times a week. Perfect for cooking 2 fried eggs and then putting it on 2 pieces of bread and grilling it with a slice of cheese. Pretty common here in GA.

Just curious, is it indeed a BSR ? I thought all BSR skillets had the ridge on the bottom of the handle....

Most of us use the following site for I.D. of BSR pieces. As you will see there are a lot of BSR pieces that do not have the distinctive ridge that you're referring to.
http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

Thanks for the link - very interesting. After looking through, and unless I missed something obvious, with the exception of just a very few "speciality-type" pieces, it appeared to me that most everything, did indeed have the ridge. Did I miss something ?

Ref: "One unique trait common to all Birmingham Stove & Range pans was the design of the handle. All of their pans had handles with a scooped hole on the underside for hanging the pan, shaped in the style seen here. The hole is teardrop shaped. There is a ridge or edge along the underside of the handle from the handle to the hole. This was a simple style that instantly identified any pan as being from BS&R."

The "ridge rule" applies with consistency only to BSR regular skillets, and even then with some observed exceptions. It's important to note that one single trait shouldn't be used to ID a piece. Other makers besides BSR have some skillets whose handles have ridges which don't flatten at the sidewall of the pan, but their other characteristics are inconsistent with BSR.

The "ridge rule" applies with consistency only to BSR regular skillets, and even then with some observed exceptions. It's important to note that one single trait shouldn't be used to ID a piece. Other makers besides BSR have some skillets whose handles have ridges which don't flatten at the sidewall of the pan, but their other characteristics are inconsistent with BSR.

Regular skillets - are indeed, what I was referring too, however, I'm just not seeing the others, on that website, anyway ! Is there somewhere else, that I should be looking.

At the beginning of that link there are 5 highlighted topics that will take you thru them showing images of a lot of BSR cookware. If you examine them carefully you will find that the first 4 topics have different handles on the underside that are not of the typical BSR ridge including your "small fry" skillet of which was your topic for discussion.
Just knowing there are other features to be aware of can sometimes get you a good piece of CI at a very reasonable price. BSR pieces aren't known for their high collectable value but some of the specialty pieces are hard to come by and not seen that often in the wild.
Good luck with your quest.

At the beginning of that link there are 5 highlighted topics that will take you thru them showing images of a lot of BSR cookware. If you examine them carefully you will find that the first 4 topics have different handles on the underside that are not of the typical BSR ridge including your "small fry" skillet of which was your topic for discussion.
Just knowing there are other features to be aware of can sometimes get you a good piece of CI at a very reasonable price. BSR pieces aren't known for their high collectable value but some of the specialty pieces are hard to come by and not seen that often in the wild.
Good luck with your quest.

Thank you for posting the link, but I'm not sure if your directing it towards me or Nick_N. I have been to that site many times, that's where I did my homework and found the information on my sauce pan, small fry skillet, and many other BSR pieces. It's a good site with lots information. Thanks again for your replies.

Just curious, is it indeed a BSR ? I thought all BSR skillets had the ridge on the bottom of the handle....
This is where this tangent got started. My answer was that the ridge alone does not make a piece a BSR, and that the rubric about the ridge applied only to regular BSR skillets. Not toys, not novelty pieces, not sauce pans, not chef skillets, etc. This small square skillet is identifiable as BSR primarily by the 68H-1 mark and the Made In USA at 12:00, which are both consistent with DISA automation era BSR pieces.

My apologies Mike L. I was trying to help Nick with his ability to I.D. pieces of BSR that don't appear to be as such.
I realized after I had already posted my last reply that it appeared to be directed at you.
Doug has graciously bailed me out as he so often does with so many of these type post by all of us that get misconstrued.
As a beginner type collector I had to do a lot of reading and research to have a better understanding for the I.D. of CI and I'm sure Nick will get there with the same study habits most of us practice.
Again my apologies and thank you Doug for a better clarification of what I intended to say.

No apologies necessary MDFraley, I've only been in this game for about 4 months myself and appreciate all the help that I've received from knowledgeable people like yourself. I just wanted to make sure it was pointed in the right direction. :D

Back