What's a good price for a #7 BSR Red Mt skillet?

Adrienne Low

Hi I'm new to CI "collecting" and am just really happy to be cooking with a little, but heavy, piece of history. I just bought my first vintage skillet and after reading more about it, am worried I overpaid for it. Is $23 a high price for a #7 L red mountain skillet? It's in good condition but the interior of the handle is a bit jagged. Also wondering if I should take a stainless steel cup drill head to it to re-season it if its so old. Am thinking if one of the advantages of it is the development of the smooth coating inside, if I re-finish it, won't that remove all the coating built up over the years? But it has a bit of rust dust along one side.

Thanks,

$23 might be considered a little high for that piece, especially if not already cleaned and seasoned. But, for a BSR, it's potentially one of their earlier, nicer pieces, even if it's not considered all that collectible. I would recommend against the power drill and brush, but would recommend stripping it and starting over. See: http://www.castironcollector.com/restore.php

Back