Vollrath and Hanks Skillet Help

C.R. Jacobson

I have been a cast iron skillet accumulator for a number of years. I have quite an assortment of sizes and makers . I have decided to try to gather a couple of " sets " of skillets. I have not found the information on what sizes were made for Vollrath , Favorite Piqua (smiley) , and Hanks. Also, is there a source to approximately date the marked and unmarked Vollrath? Thanks , any help is appreciated.

Hey C.R. - Have a look at this site's pages as follows: Home Page / Cast Iron Collecting / Identifying No-Name Iron and Trademarks & Logos for help with dating Volraths.

I have referenced that entry and it allowed me to purchase a very nice #12 Vollrath at a reasonable price. My question is , does any one know the timeline of when they went from full markings of Vollrath Ware to just putting the size # on the bottom?

I have 3 Vollrath pieces, unmarked, and have been told that they are from 1950's to 1960's. Two have heat rings (#12 & #3) and one doesn't (#8). Before this, I believe I was told that they were marked pieces.

I don't know exactly when they changed from heat rings you smooth bottom though.

Thanks for that information. I have and have only seen smoke rings , no smooth bottoms.I have , or have seen #3 , #5 , #7 , #9 , #10 and #12. Does anyone know of any other sizes produced by Volrath?

Thanks for the additional sizes. I was hoping that they had produced #2- # 14 and it sounds like it will be close to that. I have set my sights on completing a set whatever that entails.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I think I have the Volrath situation in hand. Does anyone have any insight to the Hanks Foundry production line??

No worries .I have a #3 and all I have ever seen is a #5. I appreciate that there are a few in my sights towards a set. I am just not sure what a set consists of yet. Any help would be much apprer.

Back