outdoor cooking stove or burner

KristiK

Does anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor cooker, 1 or 2 burner which would be good for griddle and Dutch Oven (no legs)?
Height makes little or no difference but weight of one of those expedition stoves (such as seen in Cabella's catalogue) would be too much for me.
Bayou CI sells one made in China which looks nice. I would also prefer to be able to regulate heat. Have a grill which I really enjoy and use it at annual gathering in Bardstown, KY for Kentucky Music Week in June.
Would really like to use a few of the CI pieces there so a group could gather for meals and then play our dulcimers, hammered dulcimers, guitars, ukes, flutes etc for hours.

I have a feeling you'll get a few recommendations for the CI Sportsman's Grill, originally made by BSR and now available from Lodge.

Here it is on amazon but it's cheaper from Walmart:
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-P...85682&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+sportsman's+grill

It is charcoal, but heat can still be regulated. And it is still heavy, though not as heavy as those expedition stoves. And you can put CI skillets and DOs on it no problem.

Otherwise a simple portable two-burner camp stove should suffice. There's a bunch of them out there but here's an example from a good brand:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Trit...qid=1474685992&sr=1-10&keywords=camping+stove

I wouldn't recommend the Sportsman's Grill. They're heavy as heck and not very portable IMO. While you can somewhat regulate the heat with them, you're still using charcoal and have to frequently tend to it. Much better heat regulation with the Coleman stove or others like it previously mentioned may be your best bet, but I use this Griswold two burner stove. Of course, there are many modern versions of it. Mine is hooked to a either a 5 lb cylinder or a 10 lb cylinder and you can even get adapters to hook to a 1 lb cylinder.

IMG_2017_zpsdjnwni2i.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin, thanks for posting that picture! I've seen a grill similar to that a couple of times and never paid any attention to them. It never dawned on me I could hook it up to a propane tank. (I guess I assumed it was a part of some larger stove and not what it actually is.)

Coleman stoves will not give you the btu s you want. There are many Gris copies that do a much better job with the heat.

So any suggestions of where to buy a Griswold copy? Mfg. name?

I was considering a Bayou brand but want something to pass along with my CI - just not soon.

The heavier ones are no name or anyones name. Older ones or new, one needs to touch & feel before buying unless Griswold. I'd do brick & mortar or flea markets. You can get a feel for the Sportsman at Tractor Supply. Hopefully you don't need one yesterday.

Hilditch

I kinda like the two burner propane suggestion. And not to awful long ago a couple of members posted theirs and it and it got me thinking how versatile one would be to use at certain times. A bag of charcoal takes up near the room as a bottle. Either avenue seems to have its pros and cons.

Deep fry outside with a two burner or grill with a sportsman. Tough call get both:)

Have you looked at agrisupply.com they have a nice selection of cast iron, banjo burners bayou burners,1 2 3 burner camp stoves, 3 burner on legs, and bunches of other things

KristiK,
What ever you end up buying I would suggest getting a three-burner one as a minimum. Reason behind this is if you try and place a DO and something like a #9 or #10 skillet side by side on a two burner one you will find that you will be off-center on the burner which could effect the cooking surface of the CI pieces. If you place them on the two outside burner's you will still have room for a smaller skillet on the middle one. Coleman stoves (2 burner) have a wind shield on each end to keep the flame from going out which again limit the size of pots and pans being cooked in.
Good to see there is another "Hill-Billy" here on CIC. I was born in Ashland and my sis lives in Sommerset and both are a good place to shop for antique's.
Good luck with the stove.

Do you happen to live in the Pacific Northwest? If so, i know a guy who's got a nice 2 burner griswold for sale. He's asking $69. With a little TLC that thing will look brand new. I've thought about it pulling the trigger on it but I already have a nice Camp Chef 2 burner stove that works perfectly.

Attachments

• griswold 2 burner.jpg
    griswold 2 burner.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 41
I got the Camp Chef low but single burner stove from CC. Excellent service.

Will post next week when I try it out.

I bought a Cleveland Lock Works two burner stove top cast iron with all parts. I use it to cook fish and fries. This cooker produces a lot of carbon on the outside of the cast iron kettle. I an sure some of these older stove top dual burners were designed to use natural gas, hence the excessive carbon using propane.

Bryan, the correct regulator and correct air flow adjustment produces no carbon from propane. Adjust air flow for a blue flame, not a yellow flame. This is said after 400 meals with a two burner cast iron stove on propane with an SK 10 in my teardrop camper.

Hilditch

Bryan B
I just restored a no name two burner countertop stove. It was set up to use natural gas. I intend to use propane. I thought the only adjustment necessary to switch between natural gas and propane was the air inlet. Just play with it until you get a solid blue flame, no yellow. Am I way off base here? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jack

I'm all ears, or eyes. Everything is original, except the air flow regulators. The originals were some kind of pewter (soft metal mixture) and was the only parts without rust. They crumbled into parts when I had to force the rusted adjustment screws out of the threads. I replaced then with modern (stamped metal) air flow regulators that were larger than the originals. I checked te edges for leaks and found they were tight. I must start posting pictures.

Any information about Cleveland Lockworks dual burners?? I have found very little information about this item.

The pressure of natural gas is regulated as it comes into a house, as is propane. If one is using an 11 lb., 20 lb. or larger propane tank you need a regulator to keep the pressure at 20 PSI or below. A 1 lb. bottle is already under 20 PSI so no regulator is needed.

Then one needs to adjust the air flow to get that blue flame on a medium setting with little or no yellow on wide open. This may be impossible when mixing parts as the control valve configuration and air flow regulators are designed together. I have never heard of Cleveland Lockworks.

Hilditch

Back