Griswold 203 & Bean Pots

MDFraley

Been refurbishing the Griswold 203 for several months and cleaning the three bean pots setting on it.
The burner turned out great and two of the three pots were also very good. The pot on the left is a "Script Sidney #4" the one in the middle is a Sidney Hollowware Co. #3 with a most unusual maker's mark (similar to what I would describe as a Jewish Star) and the one on the right is a Griswold's Erie 781 No. 3.
Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• PC070133.jpg
    PC070133.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 102
  • PC070136 - Copy.jpg
    PC070136 - Copy.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 89
  • PC070145.jpg
    PC070145.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 85
That looks really nice. You do nice work, that odorless skillet looks real pretty also. :icon_thumbsup:

Thanks Bonnie...Actually have a better pic of the burner that I should have posted. Painting was a challenge since I couldn't find the original japanned black finish. Let me try to post with this reply....

Attachments

• PB080065.jpg
    PB080065.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
Nice work all around. Are the burner valves original? If not, where did you source them?

Burner valves are original. Every piece was disassembled, cleaned, polished, and reassembled. Every part except the valves were cleaned in my e-tank and repainted after drying. All slot head screws and square nuts were replaced with new ones (hard to find by the way) and painted after reassembly. Took a while to re-do it but well worth the time and effort once finished. I have not purchased the regulator and tested it but there should not be an issue with anything....I hope.

Nice Restoration.

I just picked up one of these. What did you end up using for a regulator. I tried the one from my Camp Chef stove, and it seems like it isn't getting enough gas. Also, did you end up painting the burners?

I've redone several of these and use regulators scavenged off scrap gas grills. If your stove has been setting a while it is best to disassemble the gas pipe and controls and thoroughly clean them of any dirt, cobwebs, dead bugs etc.

After almost 4 years I still haven't fired off this burner. Restoring these old pieces takes time and by the time I finish one piece I'm on to the next one.
I use "Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss black (DE1635) for most all my pieces that I want to duplicate the japanning effect. I've only found it at the auto stores. It's recommended by the restoration experts in most cases where heat is a concern (up to 500 degrees). They recommend 3 coats with a three day wait period between coats. The burners themselves were sprayed with the high temperature (1200 degree) grill paint. It has a different finish than the 500 degree paint.
I normally put a piece of tape over the incoming manifold pipe to keep spiders etc. from wanting to make their home in it. If you're storing it in an extremely dusty/dirty place I would suggest covering it with a large trash bag with a twist-tie to keep anything from entering.
The standard regulator that's used on an outdoor grill should work as far as I know. May have to adjust the air/gas port on the valve on the stove itself to get a nice blue flame and not an orange one.
Hope this info helps with your restoration project.

Back