Very Old Sidney O Script #8 Rectangular Griddle

Dave_C

Have a very old Sidney O Script #8 rectangular griddle that I can't find anywhere. It has Sidney O in cursive script and the number 8 on the bottom. It has no handles and rough edges. I don't believe the handles were there and broken off.

Not sure if it was for sad irons or food or both. It does seem pre-Wagner but after that is I am stuck. I have stripped it in lye and reseasoned it. Looking to put it on ebay but have no idea of value to compare it too.

Has anyone seen one of these before? I have over 300 pieces and this one has really stumped me. Thanks

Here are thumbnails. Learning the restrictions of the files accepted here.

Attachments

• Sidney Thumb.jpg
    Sidney Thumb.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Pictures of the entire back and top.

Attachments

• Sidney Thumb2.jpg
    Sidney Thumb2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Sidney Thumb3.jpg
    Sidney Thumb3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 84
I have Google image search, the BB, and a personal archive of 40K+ CI photos, and I've never seen one. The absence of handles is curious.

I have Google image search, the BB, and a personal archive of 40K+ CI photos, and I've never seen one. The absence of handles is curious.

Thank you Doug and this is what has me stumped as well. Thinking it might just be a test piece if they did such a thing back then.

Have no idea how to value it.

You would think it was made to use stationary. A few thoughts, guesses!
1.Maybe someone at the foundry filled in the mold with sand where the handles would have been so it would fit in their oven.
2.Special order “run” for a commercial restaurant or food service facility.
3.Made to fit in the opening on top of a certain wood stove.

You would think it was made to use stationary. A few thoughts, guesses!
1.Maybe someone at the foundry filled in the mold with sand where the handles would have been so it would fit in their oven.
2.Special order “run” for a commercial restaurant or food service facility.
3.Made to fit in the opening on top of a certain wood stove.

All great points, thanks.

Not sure what that does value wise but would bet it's one of a kind. Not sure where to start it on ebay.

Back