Newly Seasoned Griswold Skillet

TimC

I'm pretty new to the cast iron seasoning process. I have maybe seasoned 15 to 20 skillets. This one Griswold large block #8 I just seasoned is weird. The other skillets I have done, I was able to season a few times without any issues. Each time the skillet getting darker. This Griswold skillet only let me do it twice. Turning a flat black/charcoal color. When I try to apply Cisco it just beads up. Never coating the skillet. I'm cooking some bacon in it now and the bacon grease beads up like it was Teflon.
Is this normal or should I put it back into the e-tank and try again ?

Tim, any chance you used something with silicone in it? PAM cooking spray, or a silicone brush or potholder? Or maybe a rag that was a poly/cotton blend?

I’ve had it happen a couple of times (or more). I’ve experimented with different seasoning methods. When I use the PAM method, two coats of seasoning is about the max. After that, it beads up. I’ve also had it happen when I was using a silicone basting brush to get in some small areas on a piece ... and I was applying the oil at a higher temp than what the silicone was rated for.

Bingo! That's it, thanks. I used a old shirt to apply the Crisco. I also used that shirt to wipe out extra pam from a skillet earlier. I didn't realize that pam would do that. Love and learn.
Should I start the seasoning over or just use it? The bacon seemed to cook fine.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

I threw it back in the e-tank. It should be ready in the morning for a silicone free seasoning.

Back