Choosing a Plastic e-Tank. Tote? Tall Kitchen?

TedW

Some folks use big totes, and some tall kitchen garbage. I have an 18" wide cast iron grill grate that Id like to clean also. Been thinking about a larger tall kitchen garbage can, but thought I'd pick brains here.

Tall kitchen would not be my choice. I don't think it would hold water more than about half full without being likely to tip or split. I have a 20 gallon square Continental Husky with lid. 18x18 would be no problem in it. It's sturdy enough to fill 90% full and does not bulge appreciably when filled. Also UV resistant. 18" across would fit snug, or might have to angle it a bit. Downside is hard to find at retail. HD has 20 gallon Rubbermaid Brute with lid for cheap, like $20. 16" max ID, but great for most pieces as a lye tank.

Since I like big skillets, I have a few # 14,4 do#12 and very large gridles, is better just one tank,I have a trash can 33 gal Rubbermaid,collecting cast iron is like drugs once you start you cannot stop.

For a one shot deal I'd use my kitchen - oops - no I wouldn't as I drilled holes in the bottom sides to let air in when I pull the bag out. I'd use a plastic garbage can. If buying something, I'd buy a large tote as it would be more useful down the road.

Hilditch

I've been using an empty plastic tote I had in the basement (doesn't everyone have some :) ), but I'm thinking of an upgrade. It works fine for small and medium pieces, but a #8 skillet is pushing the limits of depth there. Plus, it bows outward noticeably when full. It's been a good starter to get my feet wet with the process, but it's not a long term answer.

For several years I have been using a 20 gallon Brute garbage container with eight spaced pieces of 2’ rebar. This setup has accommodated all of my pieces to date, just picked up a #14 Griswold that I am hoping will fit.

M_Osborne - Is that a 20 gallon round garbage or rectangular tote? That short 20 gallon round is a nice looking size.

Here is mine, Poly job box. Approx 36"long x 20" tall x 24" wide and 40 gallons. A carbon plate on each side.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 36
Picking one up at Home Depot. That was the best deal.

M_Osborne- thanks for the idea!

Doug- thanks for the shopping tip!

OK Brute tank purchased. I never even noticed that these little garbage cans existed. Thanks again M_Osborne!

and Doug for the Home Depot connection.

Now to wire it all up!

Back