Miniture Ham Boiler

MDFraley

Stopped by the local scrap yard this morning and picked up this interesting piece. I've done several hours of research and only came up with an old listing on Worthpoint (which isn't my favorite place to I.D. vintage cast iron) and according to the listing (4-12-2008) this piece was a salesman's sample with a circulation date of 1915-1925. There was no manufacture mentioned in the listing so I have no idea if it was actually made by a notable C.I. manufacturer.
The piece measures 9 1/2" L x 4" W x 4" H. The only markings are shown in the attached pic. If anyone has some reliable info regarding this piece please let me know. It's currently being cleaned. No pitting, cracks, and sets flat on the 4 small feet.
https://imgur.com/9t8gQua
https://imgur.com/HUypRwh

Last edited:
MD,

Interesting looking piece. If it was a salesman's sample, does that mean the "real" piece is larger? Assume it or the "real" piece would be used on or over a fire, given the legs. Would like to know more about it. Too bad you haven't come across an informative source.

Not putting a lot of faith in this piece for a couple reasons. No concrete history that I can find and lots of speculations from the listings that I have found. Apparently the 1915-1925 circ. date I sited in my post is the very same date as the Erie Ham Boiler shown on p.70 of the BB. There's also the "fake" ham boiler shown on p.142 of the BB that has feet on it and obviously a poor copy of the Griswold logo.
Since I'm only out $3 for it and it is a very nice casting it will probably end up on one of my conversation shelves of cast iron here at home.
Anyway...that's my take on it. At least for the time being.

WallyF
I have a full size ham boiler. You could use it on a fire but it was designed to go on a wood stove. You removed the front and rear stove eye covers and the center divider piece from the stove revealing an oval opening in the top of the stove. Then the ham boiler would sit in the hole. The ham boiler has a round bottom but is flat at the bottom edge that sat on the stove with the rounded part in the opening.

Back