Carbon Steel wok

GTurner

I bought a used 8" carbon steel wok from a local Goodwill for the cheap. It has been in the lye for 3 days. Why is it not coming very clean? Is it because there is only carbon left? The inside bottom is finally coming clean and spots on the outside bottom, but this has taken elbow grease.

It comes off in thin flakes/layers. Is there anything else that I can try? E-tank unfortunately is not an option.

My CI starts coming clean from crusted on layers within 24 hours.

I'm thinking of just cleaning the inside and leaving the rest of the outside alone. Any and all thoughts are welcomed.

Are you absolutely positive you're not working with a nonstick wok? The way you're describing how it's coming off makes me think it could be Teflon.

It is coming off in sheets from the back primarily. The bottom started cleaning up in the lye first, without any scrubbing.

cae17ddd83907bdcce598622685dc531.jpg
57c8933cc35a64bc20a53d77b0adbca1.jpg
cd675b1a5800b2ebb4ea0ab1c1c30bf9.jpg
39cb1bea7c64ea8a527718f72fb99147.jpg

Looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure that's teflon or something like it. While comparing what a nonstick wok looks like vs something that requires seasoning, such as what Lodge and Vollrath make, I'm almost positive I found exactly what you have on Amazon. It's an 8" Non-Stick Carbon Steel Wok with Soft Touch Riveted Handle made by Ecolution. The coating has the same color, it has the same overall shape, the same loop on the handle, and the same striations up and down the sides.

Back