Ghost Mark?

Looks like it's below the 8 rather than above, so perhaps a 2. I'm trying to decide if I think it's intentional or just a random casting anomaly. If it's inscribed not raised, it's in the pattern, so not a molder's mark. Haven't seen a pattern identifier of that sort on a Lodge CO before.

Yes it is for sure below the 8, and it is an upside down 7, I showed it right side up as well.

Now that I've stared at it for a while , it may be a 2 with the upper part missing... Other times it looks just like a 7. Hard to tell.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

I will try to add better pictures, it seems more clear to the naked eye.

I have another question about this piece. It has a raised 8 on the bottom rather than incised. What time period did they make them like that?

If we assume the same time frame as Lodge skillets, then ~ 1930s. But lower volume pieces often didn't have patterns updated if the expense of doing so didn't warrant. From the raised number on the bottom and the incised number on the lid one might infer they weren't originally sold as a set, however, makers would have certainly used any inventory on hand to create salable units with little concern over markings.

Back