Cleaning a CI Kettle

WallyF

attempting to clean my first CI kettle. goodly amount of rust inside. any tricks to getting it rust free and seasoning the nooks and crannies?

I would like to know how to do that as well. I have one that is crusty with rust on the inside. I have thought about sandblasting it, but it is over 100 years old and I hate to insult it like that.

Go to our cast iron cleaning and seasoning section and read the sections regarding rust removal. There are several suggestions which may fit your needs and also take into place your limitations on what method to use. I have been most successful with the electrolysis method (e-tank) but if you do not have one there are other methods such as molasses and or vinegar and water.
Good luck with your cleaning.

Use your kettle as an e-tank and reverse that polarity. Hang a large enough piece of metal inside for the size of your kettle.

I tried the vinegar method with some strong cleaning vinegar I even let it simmer for a few hours while doing it. Didn't even touch the rust. My battery charger died a few years ago. I guess I ought to replace it.

I recently restored a 40 gallon kettle by using it as the E tank as GTurner described. Since it is to be used I had a cooker made for it and seasoned it over a wood fire in the cooker. The kettle has some fairly deep pitting on the bottom but it still cooks booyah like a dream.
E-tank.jpg

seasoned.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions.

I do have an e-tank and was struggling for a way to get at the rust inside the tea kettle. It is relatively small, only a 1-2 quart capacity.

I will try filling the kettle with the e-tank solution and somehow suspending a lawn mower blade into the kettle.

Back