Technique

W. Hilditch

With the same ingredients technique can make the difference between a great result or crap. Correct technique can be acquired from recipe instructions or experience, but it is as important as the ingredients, if not more so.

I have made grey mushy hash browns. When I learned to rinse the potatoes well it was a different story. Pie crust has the same ingredients, but folding and dusting is a whole new world.

Cast iron cooking benefits from experience. Keep trying to get your technique better.

Hilditch

To paraphrase Iron Chef Michael Symon, "Learn a recipe and you can make a great dish. Learn a technique and you can make a thousand of them."

CI cooking technique 101

CI likes a lubricant no matter how good the seasoning. At least a light spray of oil or some butter. Most foods still want to stick, especially breaded foods even if put in 1/2” of hot oil. This is OK. In most cases, when the food is cooked enough on the bottom side, the pan will let go.

The important part is not to lift the food until you can slide it sideways or break it loose with a spatula. If you have the heat too high it may burn where it is stuck before the pan lets go,so don’t turn up the heat to get it to break loose. If it won’t slide sideways now, give it a minute and try again. Experience will tell you when to use a spatula. Many times the food will shake loose if you try at the right time.

Moral: Always slide before you lift or try to flip.

Hilditch

CI cooking technique 101

CI likes a lubricant no matter how good the seasoning. At least a light spray of oil or some butter. Most foods still want to stick, especially breaded foods even if put in 1/2” of hot oil. This is OK. In most cases, when the food is cooked enough on the bottom side, the pan will let go.

The important part is not to lift the food until you can slide it sideways or break it loose with a spatula. If you have the heat too high it may burn where it is stuck before the pan lets go,so don’t turn up the heat to get it to break loose. If it won’t slide sideways now, give it a minute and try again. Experience will tell you when to use a spatula. Many times the food will shake loose if you try at the right time.

Moral: Always slide before you lift or try to flip.

Hilditch

My 10 year old kid was absolutely amazed when I cracked a couple of eggs onto my WW -O- #6, fried them, gave it a little shake, swirled them around a little, and slid them onto his plate without ever touching the spatula. I never thought to try that until I read your post above.

Thanks for sharing the smile Ty.

To get all those scrumptious bits in the bottom of the skillet fast this is the tool that won’t hurt your seasoning and leaves a smooth surface. Perfect for au jus and gravy. It is called a spring whisk. Be sure and bend the end up so it won't scratch. (Two pairs of pliers.)

Hilditch

Making an omelette is 90% technique. I read that making an omelette can be the final exam in an European cooking/chef school. The technique will vary with the cooking method used as in a copper or CI skillet or a griddle; as well as a flat, fluffy or rolled omelette. For a CI fluffy omelette, check out the Omelette 4/2 post.

Hilditch

Back