Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > Cast Iron Collector Forums > Introductions

Notices

Introductions New Members Say Hello and Tell Us What Brought You Here

Old 09-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Default New in Williamsburg

I have been collecting CI for only about a year and it has been primarily for personal use and gifts. My focus has been on pans that have an outer heat ring. I have a set of 3 - 10, of various makes ( The Favorite, Sidney Hollow Ware, Erie) and they are used continuously. Such a pleasure. Came to the site to find information about the usability of an early (has a casting gate) 12" Dutch Oven. it was given to my son for use with Boy Scout Camping. He gave it to me to clean. Doing so, I found two cracks in the lid (from misuse) and want to know if they are stable enough for continued use on camping trips. I have talked with my son about the need to SLOWLY bring up the temperature of the lid before adding a few coals and then add more with time. So, I will search the postings and add mine if I see no answer
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Re: New in Williamsburg

Hi Ken. Without a picture to assess the size and length of those cracks it would be hard to give an honest answer. Assuming that there will be continued use of hot coals placed on the lid it may be fine unless the cracks are large enough to allow ash from the coals to seep thru to the food. Might just line the top of that lid with aluminum foil as a safety feature. Those scouts should be able to come up with a solution on their own and if not suggest what I have just said.
Welcome to CIC.