Old Wagner Sidney 8 DO

From the trademarks page it looks to be ~1910-1920, "WAGNER" SIDNEY, O (block letters), high, arc straight. There may be a ghostly 7 above the 8 and a hint of a possible 2 before the 7.
The center is a bit eroded, apparently from coal back in the day, so the O is gone.

The bottom is flat, with no ring, and the transition to the sides is almost right angle (the top is wider than the bottom so it can't be 90* but you get the idea) with maybe a 1/8" radius, but nothing like a newer DO w/ ~3/4" radius.

The other interesting thing is the lid. It seems to fit well w/ little side to side movement, and has the slightest arc up to increas the volume under it, unlike more normal lids that pop up a lot.

The lettering/logo IDs it, but time spent looking at pics here and on the internet show nothing like it. Interesting. My Taiwan DO w/ Lodge lid is servicable, but aside from the erosion, the Wagner is very nice. I paid $35 which is far more than I've paid for anything so far...

Ok, let's see how this goes... Not well. The thumbnails are ok, but the links are a mess. I'll try again.
Sorry no thumbnails and the pics are so big.
Now that I look at the bottom I guess it got too hot. :( I guess I'll toss them in the lye bath and hope...
The lid handle looks pretty funky as well.

Image Image

Image Image

Mike, I think it looks beautiful. It does not appear there is significant damage and that after you get it cleaned up it will be a piece of pride and good cooking. The bent bail adds character and history. I would not try to straighten it at all.

Hilditch

Wow! Awesome piece! 1915-1920? Can't wait to see it after you clean it up. I've never seen one from that era before.

Thanks for the responses. I gave it a scrub last night and cleaned up the bottom a bit. The bottom does look much better now.
I'm not planning to try to heat and bend the handle on the lid to make it look better. Cast iron isn't forgiving when things go wrong. I'll probably bend the wire handle (bail?) back a bit.
My dating is just guesswork based on pics here and the look of the lettering, but its obviously pretty old.
It'll be headed for the lye and molasses baths today... More pics after a few weeks of marinating.

You should not attempt to bend the handle on the lid. It will break if you try.

I see. Cast iron is hard but brittle. It's motto is break but don't bend. :)
I actually dropped the lid as I was leaving the junk store--cringe...

Last edited:
Back