One last one from mom - turk's gem pan

SpurgeonH

I think this is BSR? It's not in great shape, but would be easy to clean up. It hasn't been used in years. My mom remembers her mother baking in it when my mom was a child ... so late '30's or early '40's? (my mom was born in '32)

Unfortunately, I can see a small crack inbetween the two cups in the middle.

I saw one exactly like this on Craigslist a couple months back and tried to buy it but the seller would never respond 😞

That's awesome, Spurgeon! I would love to have a Turk's head pan, and YOU have one from your Grandma--what a treasure. Don't worry about the crack; no telling how long it's been there. And it's just part of the history.

Thanks Donna! It's not mine yet though. My mom wanted to hang on to it. I could tell she had a deep, sentimental attachment to it. As we talked, childhood memories were obviously flashing through her mind like a highlight reel at the Saturday matinee.

The pan is heavily oiled, but still seems to be rusting. Maybe it is fire damage? She said her dad would occasionally clean their skillets with fire. Anyway, I'm trying to convince her to at least let me clean it to prevent future damage.

The shape of the handles look like Lodge, but it is missing the number. That's why I was guessing BSR. Could it have been an early pan made by Lodge? Maybe before they decided to number them?

Another thing that makes the pan a mystery is the casting itself. The casting around one of the handles, and in a couple of gaps between the cups, is a little crude. There is also a buttered area on one of the cups next to the crude handle. Possibly a repair of a crack or casting flaw?

BSR made one like this, but I doubt they would have bottom gated it, either. More likely someone's recast. Look for artifacts of grinding off side gating in the casting.

Okay, I'm new to this, so I got to ask - What is a Turk's Gem (or) Turk's Head pan, and what exactly is it used for ? Muffins maybe ?

Back