seeking a BSR catalog/list (also Crescent, Martin, Atlanta)

Tess B.

Hi there ... my husband and I have taken a real liking to BSRs and are looking for any type of catalog or list that shows us what sizes and styles were made and might be found in the vintage cast iron market. Anyone know where to find that, or if it exists?

Thanks!

Re: seeking a BSR catalog/list (also Crescent, Martin, Atlan

The bad news is that no book or published guide to them exists, except for a Martin section in the red book. The good news is that, if you're in Alabama, you're going to find a lot of BSR. Look for the older 1930-1940s "Red Mountain" pieces with the large size number and pattern letter at 6 o'clock, the larger pour spouts, and smooth polished cooking surfaces. Early "Century" pieces from the 1950s are also good users. You can see the differences at http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php#bsr

Indeed, we found an older (larger spouts) Red Mountain #8 for $7 just this morning at the flea market. Score! We LOVE the BSRs but don't know if they came in all sizes, and what all the pieces are. We'll have fun hunting, but it would be great if there were an original catalog or product list that let us know what all is out there.

We'd like to assemble a full set of BSR eventually, if possible. But doing so one piece at a time is a lot of fun! Thanks for the info!

As far as BSR skillets, IIRC, I have owned or at least laid eyes on a 3,5,7,8,10,12, and 14, in both Red Mountain and Century markings. I have a #8 smooth bottom Century chicken fryer, and I understand a 7, 9, and 10 were also made. I have seen the #8 CF at least with markings of both Red Mountain and Century. All were smooth bottom. There is also a #11 square breakfast skillet that has what appears to be Century markings. I have seen corn stick pans in only one size, marked #7 with a pattern letter, Red Mountain style. They are Wagner Junior size. Dutch ovens, I've only seen a #8, but suppose there must be more. I have Red Mountain lids with both what I call the old "gateway arch" style handle and the single-tapered handle. They also made some nice camp ovens, if you're into outdoor cooking.

Doug,I have a # 6 pre USA century series.Only one I have ever seen.Never heard of a # 4.

Failed to mention in last post I have two different size wedge shaped corn bread skillets by BSR and recently saw two sizes of square skillets I would have like to had for my collection but someone had cleaned them with a grinding wheel.

:roll: Oh, yeah, I forgot, I have those two CBS as well. There's also a corn stick pan that's two rows of four with a skillet-type handle.

Yesterday I bought a 2 qt. pan with a tab handle on the lid that I think is BSR.Two on ebay now.One is ebay item # 400504123513. Not sure how to post a link.Can anyone help i.d. this one. Thanks.

www.ebay.com/itm/400504123513

Yes, that's BSR. They did those tab handles when they first switched to automation, until they figured out how to incorporate loop handles into the process.

There is a BSR group on FB that has the old catalogs (with pics) in their files section. It’s really useful for identifying some of the oddball pieces they made.

Picked up this old Waffle Iron which was made by BSR about 7 years ago. Have looked forever trying to find another paddle without a broken handle thus haven't did anything to the one I have...still sits on the shelve collecting dust. Have never seen it listed in any of the research data that I have but they for sure did make them.

It's surprising to me to know that BSR made so many skillets and DOs for so many years... but that's the first time I've seen a BSR waffle iron!

It's surprising to me to know that BSR made so many skillets and DOs for so many years... but that's the first time I've seen a BSR waffle iron!
Carl. If you go to the CIC waffel iron gallery and look at image #6 you will see the Lodge W.I. that is the same as the BSR image that I posted. Not sure if Lodge copied BSR or if BSR copied lodge but the similarities are almost the same.

Carl. If you go to the CIC waffel iron gallery and look at image #6 you will see the Lodge W.I. that is the same as the BSR image that I posted. Not sure if Lodge copied BSR or if BSR copied lodge but the similarities are almost the same.
Wow! You ain't kiddin!

BSR:
K3rctto.jpeg

Lodge:
lodge_wi1.jpg

As I look closer, the handles are quite different, but they both have that Batman point on their face at the 6:00 position (above where the handle connects to the face)....actually, that's very reminiscent of Griswold.

Carl,
Just from what I have found dating the Lodge W.I. and according to the date the arc lodge logo was used (1910-1930), it would appear that the BSR W.I. was manufactured after the Lodge W.I. Not 100% sure but I think that BSR started their production just after 1930. Could be wrong but it's just a best guess.

Back